Svnryn

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Hi,

I'm currently deciding on a headset for my PC (mostly for gaming). I'm currently looking at:

• -Audio-Technica ATH-m30x with mod mic ($69 + $49.95)
    -HyperX Cloud Headset ($79.99)
    -SteelSeries Siberia V2 ($49.99)
I'm leaning towards the Audio-Technica's due to the ability to fold them up and supposed great sound quality. I would supposedly be able to get more use out of it compared to the other two than just gaming.

If anyone has any experience with these headsets, please feel free to give your input. Thanks!

Solution
I got mine from amazon UK mate, I'm not sure what's available over there but Takstar is the OEM for a lot of quality headsets and I know that the HyperX Cloud, QPAD QH-85 and QH-90 are based on the Hi-2050, I also have the Somic MH463 (another giant killing budget headphone) and a lot of people prefer them to the Hi-2050 and they do beat the Hi-2050 hands down on build quality, whereas the Hi-2050 has an excellent soundstage (which does come down to preference) and unbeatable comfort. I did also test the HD668B in a shop, so it wasn't an extensive test by any means and I found them pretty good all round without really excelling at anything.

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
The HyperX headset is arguably the best headset out there right now but you can build a superior headset for a little cheaper with the Takstar Hi-2050 (which the HyperX is based off but with a generic mic) plus a mic such as the mod mic or a cheap Sony Lavalier, it is personal preference though, I had the ATH-AD900X and I much prefer the sound of the Hi-2050's.

Svnryn

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Thanks for the reply anit-duck. Really appreciate the insight. I looked around on the net last night and found a video from TekSyndicate talking about headphone options in various price ranges.

In the $50 and $150 they recommended a pair of Superlux HD668B. Unfortunately, like the Takstar's you recommended, they're only available from sellers on Amazon based in Japan and China. However, I found a pair of Samson SR850's (pretty much a rebranded Superlux HD668B) that I'm going to go with and pair with a ModMic.

If anyone has any experience with these headphones please let me know. Also, anti-duck, where did you grab your Takstars from?

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
I got mine from amazon UK mate, I'm not sure what's available over there but Takstar is the OEM for a lot of quality headsets and I know that the HyperX Cloud, QPAD QH-85 and QH-90 are based on the Hi-2050, I also have the Somic MH463 (another giant killing budget headphone) and a lot of people prefer them to the Hi-2050 and they do beat the Hi-2050 hands down on build quality, whereas the Hi-2050 has an excellent soundstage (which does come down to preference) and unbeatable comfort. I did also test the HD668B in a shop, so it wasn't an extensive test by any means and I found them pretty good all round without really excelling at anything.

Solution

Svnryn

Honorable
May 17, 2013

Excellent stuff man. As previously mentioned, greatly appreciate the info. I think I'm gonna go with either the Takstar Hi-2050 or Superlux HD668B. Unfortunately have to buy them on eBay and will take some time to get them, but either one seem well worth it for the price.

Thanks again for the help man! If you don't mind me asking - what do you use for a mic?

Svnryn

Honorable
May 17, 2013

anit-duck, quick question for you. Would it be possible to use the V-MODA BoomProp with the Superlux HD668b attached with a 3.5 female-to-female coupler? Would it cause any issues with the sound?

Right now considering that or the HI-2050's with the Zalman mic.

anti-duck

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

I don't see why it wouldn't work and I don't see any loss in quality provided that you get a good quality short coupler, I have never tried that myself though. I think the HD668B and BoomPro would beat any headset out there, hands down :)