Need help choosing gaming laptop for college!

Elijah20

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I'm looking at an Alienware M14x R2 gaming laptop for college even though I've heard that they are quite pricey for what you get but I don't know much about the other gaming laptops. My price range is up to the price of an apple MacBook Pro. What is the best gaming laptop for the price, built well, and can last through college. I don't know that much about computers but I've heard good and bad things about alienware. Please someone help me by giving there opinion on other laptops or to go ahead and go with the alienware. Thanks

ConnerFS

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Elijah20

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Thank you for the response so quickly! My parents are really pushing for an Apple MacBook but I really want a laptop that is around the same price or cheaper that is better than an Apple. What is your opinion on Apple laptops?

James Devenberg

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I actually like MacBook Pro's but I would not buy one right now. Your paying a premium price for last year's graphics cards and processors. They will be updated within a couple months and have much better performance and battery life for the same price. I'm personally going to be getting an alienware or Razer. I'm torn between the 14" and 17" options.

foodiegamer

Honorable
May 12, 2013
My question is whats important looks, or performance
Alienware is def a brand who is more pricy in exchange for equal performance but better looks
The razor seris is more performance orientated
If you dont mind a plain looking laptop,chances are a custom laptop from a builder site like xoticpc will provide a good value

James Devenberg

Honorable
May 22, 2013

I disagree slightly. Alienware will give you more performance per dollar than Razer. Razer is so expensive because of how much power they have squeezed into such a thin, light laptop. Neither approach is wrong, and if I were getting a laptop to lug around a college campus, I would definitely be tempted by the 14" Razer (heck, I'm tempted by it even though it will be sitting on my desk most of the time). All the portability I need is from my desk to the couch and back, so I am looking at bigger heavier systems.

Elijah20

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
What is the lifespan of these laptops, if you happen to know off hand? That is another reason my parents are pushing for an apple laptop because it has lasted my sister all 4 yrs of college and they really want something dependable and they know that apple makes good reliable products. My question is, is what is the build quality and life span of a razor or alienware laptop?