Need help converting computer speakers into one wire for tv (also looking for new speakers)

Buckeyefl

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015
I have a nice set of older computer speakers (5.1) and wanted to convert them into a single cable to allow me to use them on a subpar tv i'm buying for my personal gym. The speakers are three wires, Black Green & Orange. I found a tutorial on how to do it at https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-turn-three-computer-speaker-cables-orange-green-black-into-one-cable

I have no clue what to buy though, as it doesn't really elaborate well (when it comes to audio, I know very little). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

edit; Also, if anyone could point me in a direction for the best quality and perhaps highest sound range speakers that can connect to a TV as well as letting me plug in my iPhone, that would be greatly appreciated. My budget is 100 or less.

Solution
TV has optical audio output. Check the TV audio menu to see if it has the option to output in surround sound.
If you use one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Audio-Digital-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00AMC2J1Y
You will get surround sound out of the speakers and won't need any additional splitters to connect them all.
If you use an optical to RCA analog adapter you would need to connect each pair of speakers to it in parallel (that's what that little box does) but your won't get surround sound just all the speakers playing stereo.
You will need to be able to adjust the volume on the speakers since the optical audio out of the TV is fixed volume.

Buckeyefl

Estimable
Jun 4, 2015

I'll try and get the model tomorrow. out of town - I believe they are logitech brand but I'll need to look at them to get the exact info.

Yes the TV has regular audio out. What you are trying to do with the Desktop PC speakers is not the "norm", hence why they are specifally Desktop PC speakers. Only desktops have the multiple 3.5mm headphone jacks for different speaker outputs; any home theater type equipment does not use that at all.
Thus the only option to use those speakers is to buy an adapter that will take a digital audio source (like optical toslink) and convert to seperate channel analog for those 3.5mm connectors.

The better option is to get a proper home theater setup with a surround sound receiever/amp and home theater speakers; but even an inexpensive reciever + speakers + subwoofer is $350-500. Just an FYI: those boxed kits with surround sound and dvd/blu ray are garbage; not only do they have crappy sound, they are not really designed with the mindset of hooking all of your devices up to it for surround sound.

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
Logitech 5.1 speakers came with the correct adapter right in the box. It looks like this:
$_1.JPG

TV has optical audio output. Check the TV audio menu to see if it has the option to output in surround sound.
If you use one of these
https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Audio-Digital-Decoder-Converter/dp/B00AMC2J1Y
You will get surround sound out of the speakers and won't need any additional splitters to connect them all.
If you use an optical to RCA analog adapter you would need to connect each pair of speakers to it in parallel (that's what that little box does) but your won't get surround sound just all the speakers playing stereo.
You will need to be able to adjust the volume on the speakers since the optical audio out of the TV is fixed volume.

Solution