Need help finding a laptop that’s worth upgrading

pcrawler1

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
Hello community.

Recently I’ve spent hours looking through Acer, Asus, Dell, and HP laptops that match my coding desires and criteria but haven’t found anything. Here is what I want:

-First and foremost, a CPU that is i3/i5/i7 that is not BGA or soldered to the motherboard. I plan on trying upgrades in the future.
-It must have 4+ gigs of RAM
-If you can find these details, I want it to be under 6 pounds (easy) and last at least 6 hours on one charge (not a gaming laptop)
-Lastly, I hope it can be under $500, so that my CPU upgrades are actually worth it.
I hope you all can help me out. Thanks.

P.S. If you were going to say this type of laptop doesn’t exist, then that’s not the advice I came here for.

Solution
AMD and Intel no longer manufacture "socketed" APUs / CPUs; they are all BGA since around 2013 or 2014.

There are laptops that do use desktop CPUs which means they can be upgraded, but they are boutique laptops that will easily break your $500 budget.

You can find a new laptop with a mobile Core i3 / i5 CPU for $500 though.
AMD and Intel no longer manufacture "socketed" APUs / CPUs; they are all BGA since around 2013 or 2014.

There are laptops that do use desktop CPUs which means they can be upgraded, but they are boutique laptops that will easily break your $500 budget.

You can find a new laptop with a mobile Core i3 / i5 CPU for $500 though.

Solution