Need Help Finding High Res Ubuntu Laptop

rajlego

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014
Tl dr; Want a specced (i7) out laptop for computer science (programming and that kind of thing) that will be good for at least 3 years. SSD preffered. No graphics preferences unless they would help for school. Want more than full hd res, would like touchscreen. Want to be able to or have ubuntu with no fiddling required for drivers. Max budget 2000. Thanks.

I'm planning on getting a laptop that should ideally last me 3+ years. I plan on doing programming and computer science related stuff. I'd like it to be specced out with an i7 and at least 16 gb of ram so it can handle whatever I throw at it. SSD over hardrive to, don't need much space, probably around 128 minimum but I wouldn't mind more. I don't plan on playing games or doing much graphics designing so I don't think I'll need much in the way of graphics. However, I would still like having something dedicated graphics wise. I would particularly like to have a 5th gen broadwell cpu (and no AMD cpu under any circumstance) and I am willing to wait till March at the latest. A touchscreen would also be nice. As mentioned in the title, I would like something I won't have to fiddle with for Ubuntu. I want no drivers mess and I would like something with great support. I believe these specs would most resemble a System 76 laptop except for one thing: a res higher than full hd. So, unless you can find one from them that sports a high res display, please refrain from recommending them. Please don't recommend a desktop as I already have one. Budget is up to 2000$.Thank You For Reading this though and through.

Edit:
Live in the U. S. in PA.

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
Have you checked the new Lenovo W series? http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/w-series/w540/ you can customize and has a option for 2880 x 1620 (not touch however I think). Not sure how well these latest systems play along with Ubuntu or other linux systems (you could always run Ubuntu in virtual machine to go around any possible hardware issues, if that is possible for your needs). Just one option here.

rajlego

Estimable
Apr 13, 2014

I looked at those but I'm a bit worried about the reviews. I also don't feel comfortable with how expensive the ram was at about 650$ for 32GB of ram.

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006

Whatever make and model you decide to go for getting the extra ram from retail should most likely be a lot cheaper then buying directly from the laptop manufacturer, they tend charge quite a bit extra.