Need help finding laptop (600-900$ range)

juggernaut12121

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
I'm going into engineering and I want a laptop that will actually be able to handle CAD programs (mine barely scrapes by with Inventor alone at the moment). I also do some photo editing (mainly in Lightroom), and a lot of internet surfing and researching.

I was looking into laptops with a hybrid drive, 8-16 GB of ram, and an i7 processor. As far as graphics go I don't think I need much more than 1080p. And I want it to last 5 plus years.
The size and battery life are a little less important to me so I don't really have anything in mind for them.
(I'm also not sure if the specs I listed are really overkill for the programs I want to run, some help in this area would be appreciated).

I'm a noob at shopping for computers but so far I've came across the ASUS VivoBook (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0721Y4BKP/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1) and the Dell Inspiron (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFGF7SN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1)

I've also seen some MacBooks with seemingly impressive specs that are a little pricier, but I really don't know much about different brands and things so some help would be much appreciated.

Thank you for any suggestions!

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
That dell is miles ahead of the ASUS specs wise. The ASUS will choke with the programs you want to run on it. The Dell has a dedicated graphics card and a much beefier quad core processor.

KirbysHammer

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Since battery life isn't really a concern for you the Dell is definitely the right way to go.

As for lasting 5 years that's a hit or miss on laptops. It depends on luck and how you treat it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BaumOfRosen Laptop General Discussion 0
UnashamedLaptopGamer Laptop General Discussion 0
P Laptop General Discussion 1
M Laptop General Discussion 0
E Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 2
A Laptop General Discussion 1
R Laptop General Discussion 0
L Laptop General Discussion 4
N Laptop General Discussion 1
J Laptop General Discussion 1