Need help finding laptops: Need two writer's workhorses.

Biomirth

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
I have a client that needs 2 laptops. The trouble is they only need them for writing and internet access which means nearly any laptop will do. Money is not an object either really, so I'm looking for a "top of the line" basic laptop. I'd like to get the largest screen possible that isn't a suitcase.

I can shop for "cheap" or "fast" but this one has me a bit stumped. Anyone have an idea where to start?

Solution
Just get them a chromebook, tell them it was $1000, and pocket the rest. A client does not need a fast or expensive laptop for what they need.

Now if you want to take this seriously, as I assume this is why you wrote it lol, you should get him a laptop with the following things inside:

17 Inch 1080p+ Monitor
Intel i7 4xxx CPU (xxx numbers do not matter, the 4 does)
8-16GB DDR3 Memory
256GB SSD or 1TB Hybrid Drive
DVD Drives are typically not needed now days
Backlit Keyboard
Multitouch Keypad

This can come in two form factors. Ultra book (Slim, no DVD drive) and a standard laptop (Thick with DVD drive built in). You can get external USB driven USB drives for an ultrabook. If you find an ultrabook with the specs I provided you would...

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Just get them a chromebook, tell them it was $1000, and pocket the rest. A client does not need a fast or expensive laptop for what they need.

Now if you want to take this seriously, as I assume this is why you wrote it lol, you should get him a laptop with the following things inside:

17 Inch 1080p+ Monitor
Intel i7 4xxx CPU (xxx numbers do not matter, the 4 does)
8-16GB DDR3 Memory
256GB SSD or 1TB Hybrid Drive
DVD Drives are typically not needed now days
Backlit Keyboard
Multitouch Keypad

This can come in two form factors. Ultra book (Slim, no DVD drive) and a standard laptop (Thick with DVD drive built in). You can get external USB driven USB drives for an ultrabook. If you find an ultrabook with the specs I provided you would have a happy client.

Solution

tachybana

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Question is, how portable these laptops need to be? do they want a 7lbs+ laptop (huge screen) or <3Lbs (14" inch).

I purchased a workhorse for my wife (Lenovo X1 Carbon under 3lbs) and it a dream come true. Fast! Light, and get the job down (good $1,500 with 3+yr warranty)

more details certainly help (or you can go like gilbadon says, a good switch aroo and pocket the rest. Of course that is they won't come back to you about their complains of the crappy equipment :))

Biomirth

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014

Thanks. That does help narrow things down a bit. I'm going to show them a 15.6" screen and and 23" monitor so they get the idea that "normal" laptop screens are not all that large. I think they'll settle for 15-17" screens though. If there are large screens that are not too awkward to transport we might consider that.

What makes a 17" laptop an ultrabook? Just a lack of optical drives and small form factor?

Biomirth

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014

Lol, you guys. I'm not going to rip anyone off. I charge enough as it is :)

I doubt they'd mind a 7lb monstrosity as long as they can move it occasionally. They're writers after all. I need a new motto for this question: "What would Tolkein do?" I wish I could get them this:
datamancer-steampunk-laptop-2nd-revision-5.jpg

That lenovo sounds intriguing. I was looking at the the Thinkpads because of their reputation for reliability. If I have to sink money into something it might as well be that.

tachybana

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
ultrabook = as light as possible. I believe it less than 5lbs. NO optical drive, NO moving parts (solid state hard drive its what drive the highest cost).

i could be wrong, but i don't know of any 17" in laptops under 5lbs. anything under 3Lbs get to be 12" - 14" and believe me 14" is plenty to sit less than 2 ft away. :)

Also, i love the finger reader (no password, only your digits)
Best luck

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
Slim books are defined as thin laptops which mostly do not have a dvd drive. Ultra books are defined as laptops with SSD's. An ultra book and slim book are just names at the end of the day, but almost all are thinner than the competition. It does not make them less wide. The screen size determines that.

This one is almost perfect FYI if they do not mind it turns into a tablet (actually awesome and fun):
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Convertible-Tablet-UltraBook-Touchscreen/dp/B00QD530AI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1426695753&sr=1-1&keywords=i7+ultrabook

Biomirth

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014

Yeah I don't think it would be a problem if it were a convertable tablet. Decent reviews for that as well.

Biomirth

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014

Strange, but I don't see any 17" laptops that aren't gaming computers really. 15" it is then. Thanks.

You guys definitely helped narrow it down. I'm going to have them test drive my Acer and maybe an older thinkpad. The touchscreen/tablet possibility is interesting but I think I'll let that be a "if it has it, o.k." feature in selecting a solution. Will update if I narrow it down further. Thanks again for your help. Can't choose a "solution" yet until I decide.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008

Yeah I think techybana is right with the 5 lb and 3lb thing so 17" does not work out.

Biomirth

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014

I don't mind Dell but clients don't like them. I'll look into the HP 17"ers though, thanks.

I'm pretty sure we'll settle on one of the newer thinkpads. They may not use all the features but those are tough lil bastards and may fit the requirements well.

Thinkpads are a good alternative. They have one of the best keyboards.