Need Help: How to Connect an OTA antenna and keep FIOS Internet & phone

rlumme

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
Hi, We need help connecting OTA antenna at a single entry point AND keeping FIOS internet and phone.

After making the decision to cut cable, we purchased a TIVO Roamio OTA and OTA antenna. We tested it by connecting the antenna and Tivo to a single TV and have determined we receive plenty of OTA TV channels and the optimal antenna placement worked out. Now it's time to connect to the whole house and this is where we need help.

Our internet is Verizon FIOS and enters the house via a coaxial cable. After some fairly extensive research, we THINK we need to purchase two diplexers to make this work, but I can't find any conclusive information or How To.

Here is what I think we need to do and would very much appreciate any words of advice from those who have gone before me.

The Set-Up:
- The Mohu Sky 60 antenna mounted on roof and it's cable run to the exterior location where FIOS cable enters the house.

- A diplexer, installed outside near the FIOS box, receives the FIOS cable and OTA antenna cable, combining the two signals and sending them through a single cable entering the house

- That single cable carrying both the FIOS internet and OTA TV signals is then split at various locations behind walls to our 3 TVs (yes, I know about signal degradation, but will tackle that later if necessary)

- A second diplexer is installed inside next to the wifi router. That diplexer receives the cable carrying internet and TV signals and then splits those signals via two cables exiting with one going to the FIOS router and the other to the TIVO Roamio OTA box.

The BIG question: Will this work?

I've read about amplifiers, boosters, MoCA, and filters, but have no clear idea when those might be useful and how they might apply to our set-up. We are in an older home with no easy way to run new cable.

Thanks for any help!
Roxanne

Solution
I don't think you will find it possible to do what you want with a single coax cable. The signal that Fios sends over the cable is not the same as the TIVO. Fios may charge you to rewire if they are willing to do it at all.
You will have to run additional cables and distribute the HDMI output of the Tivo or add Tivo Minis that work over your network. A wireless HDMI solution would work but probably cost more than the Minis.

rlumme

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017

I failed to mention that we will also keep FIOS phone service in addition to internet and assume this detail means your solution won't work. Thanks so much for the reply!

I don't think you will find it possible to do what you want with a single coax cable. The signal that Fios sends over the cable is not the same as the TIVO. Fios may charge you to rewire if they are willing to do it at all.
You will have to run additional cables and distribute the HDMI output of the Tivo or add Tivo Minis that work over your network. A wireless HDMI solution would work but probably cost more than the Minis.

Solution