need help installing SSD on new G750

Pestilence21

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
I recently bought an asus g750jm and a crucial 256gb ssd and im trying to make it so that windows 8 boots off the ssd and the hdd is for everything else. I have the ssd in the spot where the hdd was in and the hdd in the 2nd slot but my laptop is not even detecting the ssd for me to change the boot priorities in the uefi/bios. I've been searching for something even remotely close to a solution to this for an hour and a half and got nothing. PLEASE HELP!

hans_pcguy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Have you verified that the ssd works by trying it in a different machine? Is the drive set to "legacy' or ahci in the bios? Are you sure the cables are plugged in tightly? Does the machine see the ssd if the hard drive in not installed?---these are all things to check.

Pestilence21

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
i don't have another machine to use atm, in the uefi/bios it says it is set to ahci, I tried it without the HDD and it went directly to bios with nothing under the boot priorities.

Trun187

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
I went through a similar problem, heres what i did. Download ASUS backtracker. Plug in a usb flash drive, let it copy the files to the flash drive. Shutdown. Take off back cover, remove HDD, put SSD where HD was. DO NOT PUT BACK IN THE HDD.... yet. Put cover back on. Go to bios pick usb flash as boot device. It should put the default files and partitions on ur SSD. Basically it takes the factory Images from the HDD and puts them on ur new SSD

I bought a USB 3.0 to SATA cable to hook my HDD to it to reformat and use as a storage drive. sometimes if u try to boot a computer with 2 HDDs with the same OS files it corrupts one of them. So i wouldnt put the hdd back in until you get the cable. I wanted to put OS on my SSD as well. I got a PNY optima thjng runs perfect. but this is what i did to get mine working. After it copies the files youll notice that there is 2 partitions. one named OS and another bigger partition cant remember what is was named. but if u want the WHOLE SSD for OS, go to disk management and choose EXTEND VOLUME. Pick the rest of the MBs and BAM all the space on the SSD is for OS. Hope this helps