need help replacing laptop screen. acer s3-391

woody0111

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013
Ive always fancied a project and seeing as my old, and very cheap, laptop is on its way out i decided to pick up a cheap spares and repairs laptop from eBay and try and fix it.
I picked up a acer s3-391 pretty cheap with a damaged screen.
I can find guides to replace the lcd screen no problem but i only seem to be able to buy a replacement for the full lid and can't find any guides anywhere to replace that.
anyone had any luck doing this or can point me in the right direction?

Also! i'm considering swapping out the 500gb hdd for a 128gb ssd but it also comes with a 20gb Msata driving for cache and stuff. if i replace the drive and install windows 8.1 on it will i need to configure the Msata to work with it or should that take care of it's self.
As you can guess I'm a bit of a noob but i figure i'm not going to get any better without getting my hands dirty.

thanks a lot.

woody0111

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

thanks for your reply, the problem isn't finding the replacement, its finding the guide to do it.

woody0111

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

Lol, I'm not doing a very good job of explaining this.
I'll sort it out. Thanks for the help anyway.

woody0111

Honorable
Apr 26, 2013

One last shot!

This is the only guide I've managed to find online apart from the service manual.

http://youtu.be/38aodCpYZFo

But the only part I've been able to source is something like this

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=360798294561

What I'm getting at is, do you think I'm better off cracking open the new laptop lid, then crack open the old laptop lid (still attached to the laptop) and swapping the lcd panels OR follow the service manual instructions which require you to open up the laptop and essentially take everything out so you can replace the laptop lid as a whole.

That might make more sense. Might not. I've kind of lost the will to live.

BigHead7391

Estimable
May 28, 2015
The problem that im having on this same model is that the led screen i bought is a 40 pin gold connector and the lcd video cable adapter is 30 pin. Via Ebay theres 2 diff. adapters that it could be but both are 30 pin where it goes into the screen and ive never seen a 30 pin led screen connector so I guess we will have to adapt the 30 pin to a 40 pin

TRENDING THREADS