Need help throwing together a 2.1 set (Canada)

Its_Crisis

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015
im currently using logitech z623, they're ok, sub is nice but speakers lack mid and high detail and produce flat sound, recently i purchased my dad the klipsch pro media 2.1 and i am super impressed with the speakers themselves, i loved the high and mid clarity and it really bought the music to life, the speakers im looking at are the Klipsch R-15M they have a nice look, good reviews, good range and specs reasonable price, and i know how good certain models of klipsch are as they have a good history and a majority of their products are good, however im wondering if there is better and also i would want a sub but i dont want to go spend a crap ton of money i just want a good set for a decent price, thoughts and suggestions would be great. here are the speakers im looking at.
https://www.amazon.ca/Klipsch-Reference-R-15M-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00LMF41IY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482477451&sr=8-2&keywords=klipsch

so what im looking for is a good set of bookshelf speakers with a sub that hits at least 35hz, and i do not have an amp or reciever, my dad will give me his sony 500w one that he got for free, it isnt the best but i can get a better one down the road PS: please use Canadian retailers

Solution
"receiver shaped object" like those found in htib sets or an actual audio video receiver? if it is a regular receiver with about 75-80+ watts per channel @8ohm and hdmi input then it would work fine. a 5.1 receiver would be nice anyways given the subwoofer out which means no splitters or adapters or using speaker level out for getting a subwoofer to work just a simple cable. if it is a htib box you do not want it. if it doesnt have hdmi you might be limited but can likely still use it if it accepts analog 5.1
i have a set of klipsch home theater speakers as well and like them. mine are the quintet series (satellites) though i really wish i had the cash at the time to get the bookshelves. i like how vibrant they are and the horn design over a regular dome tweeter gives that extra edge to treble. i first started out with a promedia set (returned since i didnt like how the subwoofer overpowered the satellites) but ended up upgrading to a home theater because i was impressed.

for decent cheap subwoofers look at the sub- prefixed woofers from dayton. you wont find better for cheap but be aware they arent the same as getting a higher end model either. while great for the money they arent going to be in the same category as $500+ subwoofers.

to power them you might be able to make do with a budget amp like a dayton dta-120 if you did not need to power them to high volumes, otherwise a stereo receiver is what i would suggest. unfortunately there arent really any cheap yet good and high output amplifiers i can suggest.

Its_Crisis

Estimable
Nov 28, 2015

My dad can give me a 500w Sony receiver, does that affect the sound quality of the speakers dramatically or will the speakers hold their natural great sound, because I know the reciever is nothing special but it has 5.1 and 2.1 channels with the sub hookup

"receiver shaped object" like those found in htib sets or an actual audio video receiver? if it is a regular receiver with about 75-80+ watts per channel @8ohm and hdmi input then it would work fine. a 5.1 receiver would be nice anyways given the subwoofer out which means no splitters or adapters or using speaker level out for getting a subwoofer to work just a simple cable. if it is a htib box you do not want it. if it doesnt have hdmi you might be limited but can likely still use it if it accepts analog 5.1

Solution