Need help to connect my 4-year-old Dell laptop to my (older) Dell monitor

alj_uk

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
Forgive me - I know nothing about computers, so am probably going about this completely wrong, but I'm hoping you can guide me to a successful outcome.

I have a Dell Inspiron N411z laptop (with HDMI and usb ports) and a Dell 1703PF monitor (with DVI and vga ports).

I've tried an HDMI to vga converter, with a vga to vga cable into the monitor - didn't work.

I've tried a DVI to HDMI converter, with an HDMI to HDMI cable into the laptop - didn't work.

I'm now wondering the following:

- how do I check if my laptop has the driver for the monitor installed? if it's missing, how do I get it?

- how do I check that the HDMI port is actually working? I've never needed to use it before, so perhaps it's the case that it has never worked.

All advice and suggestions gratefully received, thanks.

Solution
HDMI to DVi adapter should have worked. You may have a key combo to press to enable the external display port on the laptop such as Fn+ F2

Unfortunately N4111z is the model# of the charger so I couldn't look up in your owners manual what you need to do.

popatim

Splendid
HDMI to DVi adapter should have worked. You may have a key combo to press to enable the external display port on the laptop such as Fn+ F2

Unfortunately N4111z is the model# of the charger so I couldn't look up in your owners manual what you need to do.

Solution