Need help with alienware M17x R2

blessthenoob

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Hi everyone. I have a M17X R2 with dual HD5870M gpu. I wanna know how can i test the motherboard to see if its working? I get no signal on the screen, black screen and nothing on external port(hdmi or vga). i dont wanna buy a gpu and then if its still not working buy a motherboard. The laptop starts, keyboard is getting power and the alien logo plus the head on the top lid. Charging is no problem. It has 4GB of ram. If both are connected nothing happens. If only 1 ram is connected then I get a blinking capslock and Numlock. Any thoughts? Ideas? I can hear the hdd working and when i shut the laptop down it takes a few seconds. Tryed to swap the gpus and still no change of working( maybe both gpus are dead). Or ? Please help!

Solution
Well you could google the motherboard for that model and see how much and if feasible you make get a laptop store that will put it in and charge for labor.

orlbuckeye

Distinguished
I have an Alienware 18 with SLI and one of the card wasn't working. When I went into the Nvidia Control Panel the SLI feature was disable. I sent it back and it was one bad graphics card. But even if the 2 ATI cards are bad the Intel graphics should work. Is it under warranty? If it is call support and they can diagnose it.

blessthenoob

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
No more warranty for the laptop. I dont think i have intel hd graphics on motherboard of the M17x R2. I think this is the chipset: Mobile Intel PM55 Express. Other ideas on how to test motherboard or what to do?