Need help with choosing features on a laptop?

Mike Tornado

Estimable
Sep 5, 2016
Hello. I am thinking about buying a Lenovo Thinkpad X260. Now there are several features in almost every category and i am not quite sure about the functions of some because i am not a tech savvy guy. So i can't make a decision whether i want them or not. I intend to use the laptop for official purposes. Please help me with the followings:
1) Processor: I5 6200U vs I5 6300U($55 more)
2) Operating System: W10 Home vs W10 Pro($30 more)
3) Display: 12.5 HD(1366*768) NT vs 12.5IPS(1920*1080) NT($100 more)
4) Do i need a backlite keyboard?(It costs $30 extra)
5) Do i need Smart Card Reader?
6) Is Kensington Lock any good? ($40)
7) There are many types of cables and adapters available in the accesories section. HDMI-HDMI cable, Mini Displayport-Displayport cable, Displayport-HDMI cable etc. Do i need any of these?(This part confuses me most)
Thanks in advance for your kind help and time.

That's problem with buying things for the first time, you have no idea what you need.

By "official" I translate business. Correct?

Some business uses specify "I will be using auto cad, heavy photoshop, heavy video editing" etc - that drives how much power you need. So WHAT APPs will you be using and how heavy?

Processor need (by answering question above).
Operating system (I recommend Pro)
Display (as much resolution as possible vs size factor. Do you want to carry a large laptop?)
Backlit Kbd (I say yes)
Card Reader (only if you are into photography, and I mean you know about depth of field, stops, split density polarizers)
Kensington (very useful if you leave your laptop in a cubicle to make a toily run).
HDMI if you ever want to hook up an external monitor to it, very useful.

You don't care about size? weight? battery life per charge?

Mike Tornado

Estimable
Sep 5, 2016

Hello. Thank you for answering. By official work i meant Microsoft Office related office works. I am a soon to be accountant. About the size question, i can carry upto 15'' if necessary, that's not a problem. Weight doesn't matter. And i am thinking about this laptop especially becasue of its mammoth battery life.

Microsoft Office doesn't require anything powerful, so any i5 processor is fine. And for those huge spreadsheets, a big screen is desirable, either the built-in or external monitor via HDMI cable. A built-in 10-key keypad would be nice too for the accountant I imagine.

Mike Tornado

Estimable
Sep 5, 2016

Thank you very much.

To answer your questions:

1) i5 6200 U
2) Get home unless you need encryption
3) Get the 1080p. Much better for the eyes in the long run
4) Up to you .
5) Up to you. Do you plan on using them?
6) Up to you. Do you plan on using them?
7) Depends on if you plan on using only the laptop or planning on plugging in accessories like monitors.