Need help with Denon Heos setup.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
Have a Denon Heos 1 HS2 and setup seems a little complicated. I have installed the Heos app on both a smartphone and a tablet. I have done the initial wireless setup by transferring network settings/pass to the Heos via 3.5mm cable connection.

This wireless/streaming audio concept is new to me and appears to be aimed more at music services and PC music servers. I was under the impression any type of audio source could be emitted via wireless/wifi. I have the tablet emitting audio via Bluetooth connection and that was straight forward to setup. The laptop is another matter.

It appears this laptop may not have Bluetooth built in so I am trying to get a wireless connection from it to the Heos. I went to Settings/Devices and and selected add a device. It detected the Heos. The Heos now shows as a device and that it is functioning but I can not get a sound link to the Heos. I'm slightly confused, I know the Heos system relies heavily on the Heos app, so does a Windows PC require the app as well or can I do everything from the tablet app? Is the wireless connection designed to only play a select type of audio sources? For example I want Youtube audio and generally all audio from the laptop to be emitted to the Heos. Is this not the intention of wireless streaming? Should I let Bluetooth handle those sources? Thanks!

The Heos app is just a way to control the Heos device. The Heos speaker does the streaming itself.
It does accept audio via bluetooth and airplay too.
To stream to from all the audio on your laptop you will need a bluetooth transmitter for the laptop.
If you want to play files from the laptop then you need to set it up as a music server. Or you can use a USB stick plugged into the speaker with the files.
If you want to control the speaker with your laptop you just need to install the app.

kol12

Estimable
Jan 26, 2015
If the laptop is setup as a music server what sort of apps can transmit their audio wireless? I'm sort of struggling to understand what the concept and the main functions of the wireless/wifi connection are meant to be. I'm guessing that the services like Spotify, Soundcloud and tunein radio are part of the wireless streaming concept. I seem to be confusing the wireless connection as a connection that transmits any audio source but this doesn't appear to be the intention.

It's clear that the Heos app controls the speaker over wifi. I looked for Heos app for PC but there doesn't appear to be an official app by Denon for PC.. This comes up in the searches: https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/store/p/heos-remote-preview/9nblggh4nxt5