Need help with External HDD Movies and 4K VIZIO TV

Jeradwtf

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
I just got a Vizio D Series 4K 55inch.
I also got a 4TB WD External HDD.

(I'd love to watch that 80GB Lord of the Rings MKV file I downloaded)
(Hey, maybe I can connect the USB into the TVs usb port? NOPE)

I now realize that these 2 don't work together the way I had hoped.
The TV has a media player app build into it, but my harddrive doesn't show up of course.
Of course its not compatible lol.

So Im on amazon looking for a solution.
I found these.
http://www.amazon.com/Linkcool-MX3-MXIII-Android-Superfast/dp/B016LXJ7HQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1456216723&sr=8-8&keywords=media+player+for+tv

But will that work is my question?
Which media box should I get for my situation?

I like that these media boxes support mkv,mp4... etc
I will go and buy one after I get a good encouraging response here!

Solution
To support 4TB i presume it is formated in GPT, unfornutely some sets doesnt recognize a GPT disk, my advice buy any 2TB external hdd and format it in mbr and it should work without any problems. Same thing happens in ym house, we got 2 samsung 1080p 50" TVs and one of them supports my gpt hdd the other one it doesnt, it took me a while to figure it out but the solutions was to format my hdd (1TB) in mbr and not in gpt how it was initially.

Jeradwtf

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

Yeah but its just not showing my Hard Drive on the TVs media player. Could be because my HDD is too large or maybe the usb port on my TV just doesn't play movie files. Could just be to charge phones or something.

ashik1983

Estimable
Aug 4, 2015
I am counting your HDD is a NTFS format one so it should work unless your TV will only detect FAT format. After you connect you HDD, do you feel the drive being powered up? like when you touch you should feel it working.

I hope you have gone through your TV manual to check if it supports HDD and if yes, then what are its limitations etc.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
To support 4TB i presume it is formated in GPT, unfornutely some sets doesnt recognize a GPT disk, my advice buy any 2TB external hdd and format it in mbr and it should work without any problems. Same thing happens in ym house, we got 2 samsung 1080p 50" TVs and one of them supports my gpt hdd the other one it doesnt, it took me a while to figure it out but the solutions was to format my hdd (1TB) in mbr and not in gpt how it was initially.

Solution

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

All TVs in today knows about NTFS the problem is with the master boot table to be in mbr and not in gpt, but for him it is useless the mbr format because it is a 4tb hdd and mbr doesnt support more the 2tb, if it formats the hdd in mbr will lose 2TB, the hdd will be seen only as a 2TB drive

Jeradwtf

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014

Your right!
I converted my drive to MBR and now it works perfectly on my tv.
I lost 2TB of space... but i'm happy I guess 2TB is the golden size for TVs.

MKV, MP4 both working flawlessly. One of my files audio was unsupported 'DTS' only issue now :)

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
This is not about the size, is about the file table, some TVs dont know about GPT, i told in my house we have 2 samsungs, one knows and sees my GPT HDD the other one it doesnt, it only knows about mbr now to see from where it comes this limitation of 2TB on MBR do a quick google about MBR vs GPT. Honestly a 2TB loss is a bit too much, in your place i would buy any 2tb externat hdd and make it specially for that (more then 2TB doesnt make sense because you wont be able to use more then 2tb on mbr). There are some nice offers from WD mypassport(in my country Romania this 2TB is about 100 euros) or samsung m3(2TB of this model is about 70 euros) drives.

EDIT: samsung 2tb http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA81T3NW2513&cm_re=samsung_m3-_-9SIA81T3NW2513-_-Product

samsung 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K62VY7689&cm_re=samsung_m3-_-9SIA1K62VY7689-_-Product

WD 2TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P03HJ4076&cm_re=wd_mypassport-_-22-236-890-_-Product

WD 1TB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236896&cm_re=wd_mypassport-_-22-236-896-_-Product

Skursky

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017

This is a long shot but I'm also having an issue with this. I have the d65u-d2 model which I assume is fairly similar... What format is your HDD? NTFS? Not exactly sure what MBR means. I believe I did that to a drive and with it being NTFS, haven't tested it just yet but was wondering if you could elaborate on what you did...

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015
First step would be to search on google what gpt and mbr means, second step is to download any free hdd manager like easyuse partition or minitoos partition and you will have a lot more option compared to windows tool.

druid.faith.1

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Ok, per Vizio's support site.
The hard drive must be formatted as MBR, also they specify Fat32.
Additionally, the site also says flat out that the Tv's do not support Hard drives (HDD)- but- that having been said...
It has been my experience that they usually read HDDs just fine as long as they are formatted to MBR, and Fat32.

I hope that helps.

Jul 13, 2018

If you dont want to buy a new HDD or reformat the one you have on a Vizio just download what you want to watch in mp3,mp4,mp5,or avi format. Just make sure said file ends in .mp3,.mp4,.mp5 or .avi. Avi is always available if torrents are what your messing with.

Jan 1, 2019

Hi, my first post on this site, so forgive any errors in formatting. I have a Vizio D65, and when my hard drive was Fat32 formatted it recognized the first 400GB of movies on a 2TB drive. After that it started making the tv reset itself. I tried to reformat in NTFS, but it had the same issue. So now I use a 156GB usb flash drive..its 114GB formatted NTFS. The other problem is you won't be able to play any audio files like DTS through USB slot. Also, any 10bit file must be in x265, and I have never figured out how to enable HDR from USB, it only has options for HDR through HDMI in the menu. Hope this helps....Oh yeah....any files you have that have DTS in the MKV file locker, you can use Handbrake to convert the audio to ac3 or aac and they will play, with dolby 5.1.