Need help with getting Asus laptop to boot into Windows (failed reset, stuck at logo)

mastini

Commendable
Jul 19, 2016
Hi, my little cousin's laptop was initially Win 8, but they updated it to Win 10. My uncle contact me & asked me to have a look at it as it was running slow. So I took possession of it. It was taking 5 mins to boot & even when it got into Desktop, I couldn't click on anything as the pointer was spinning constantly.

So I rebooted to the Login Screen. Held Shift & pressed Reboot etc. Clicked on Troubleshoot & done a Reset. It got to around the 80% mark then I got a failure message that it reset could not be completed. So clicked on the Back/Exit button, which took me back to 'Chose an option.' So I clocked on Continue - Exit and continue to Windows 8. This was my first warning sign as the laptop was updated to Win 10 & I did not choose the Factory Reset Option, only the Reset & Delete MyFiles.

On reboot, it's now stuck at the initial Asus screen. I went into Startup Settings (holding F9) on boot. I tried System Restore/Image Rec/Automatic Repair & get nothing. I tried the Refresh button & get "The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive & try again." I tried the reset button & get "Unable to reset your pc. A required drive partition is missing."

In Bios I don't see anything under the boot options other than Boot Option 1 [Windows Boot Manager].

So I went into Troubleshoot (F9 again. Opened up the CMD window. Typed in Diskpart - List volume & I get this:

https://s32.postimg.org/6g386ymv9/20160719_204034.jpg

Can anyone please give me a preferably simple way to get this pc to boot back into Windows.

PS - I asked my uncle but there is no recovery/installation disk as I didn't come with any.

Solution
Yeah unfortunately many computers don't contain a recovery disk, and are actually set up so that you make your own. Which can be a pain if you already have a lot on the system.

You can try loading in "Safe Mode" and see if the system will start up. If that is the case, it may just need driver updates, or there may have been things on the computer that shouldn't have been, and interfered with the change to 10.

You just need to restart and enter "Safe Mode" by pressing F8 a few times as it boots up.

Also, here is an article on problems with Windows 10 and Asus machines. It has some good information and a link to the company site with info on if the computer was actually able to work correctly with 10...
Yeah unfortunately many computers don't contain a recovery disk, and are actually set up so that you make your own. Which can be a pain if you already have a lot on the system.

You can try loading in "Safe Mode" and see if the system will start up. If that is the case, it may just need driver updates, or there may have been things on the computer that shouldn't have been, and interfered with the change to 10.

You just need to restart and enter "Safe Mode" by pressing F8 a few times as it boots up.

Also, here is an article on problems with Windows 10 and Asus machines. It has some good information and a link to the company site with info on if the computer was actually able to work correctly with 10. http://www.siliconbeat.com/2015/08/04/windows-10-upgrade-bug-makes-some-pcs-unusable/

Solution

wildcard1978

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
sorry to says man if safe mode don't work try windows 10 repair disk if not ned to use another computer and download the windows media creation tool and burn it or make a botable usb drive of it then do a fresh install of windows 10 .

sorry to says man if safe mode don't work try windows 10 repair disk if not ned to use another computer and download the windows media creation tool and burn it or make a botable usb drive of it then do a fresh install of windows 10 .

Yes, you could do that (the latter since they don't have a disk already), however you should make sure that the computer can handle 10 before going that route. You may need to revert back to 8. Not all are capable of the change to 10. Check the link in the article to find out if that device can handle it.