Need help with laptop crash before i give it up for repair or attemt anything

IamWahid

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Hi

Please watch this video:

https://youtu.be/sVlr_QZAfNA

this mostly happens when im browsing or watching videos on youtube or facebook. even when im not connected to the internet or when system is idle or it had just started up. i work with 3D software and HD video editing and photoshop on this laptop. sometimes it doesn't shut down, unlike shown in the video, it just freezes and the speakers give out a loud screeching noise

Computer info file here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fq6wirn5v6gilhu/specs.txt?dl=0

Solution
Well it should only run when it hits temps at or above what the specs are for that system. You could try replacing the thermal paste and see if that lowers things for you. If not, and you feel the fan is not running enough, then you are obviously free to change it out. :)

IamWahid

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

Have run tests from the BIOS-like menu before windows start up. temps were 65+C minimum and 85C max

Computer sudden shutdowns are oftenly cause by heat. When new the system is "tuned" to reeved up the fan to remove heat when necessary and last ditch, to throttle down the CPU, again, with the objective to manage heat. However when laptop gets old these mechanism are not working efficiently, you are advised to disassemble and re-paste with new thermal compounds the CPU heatsink and a new fan. This task is not for the faint of heart. If that doesn't fix it, you can run a temp monitoring/control utility so the throttling occur sooner, say when things hit 75c to better manage the heat.

IamWahid

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
@webworkings: those are the temps while i ran diagnostic tests and every test was showing a Pass result. Basically nothing seems wrong.

I thank you both for helping me with figuring it out and i think it is indeed a heating issue. my house gets quite dusty because of all the airflow and living next to a busy road (and dirt road). i do maintain it and clean the laptop however but i think i need to get deeper. Thanks guys!

IamWahid

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Still having the problem... i cleaned the laptop inside out and applied new thermal paste. i still have the problem. does not look like heating problem anymore since it also happens right after starting up or just as its starting up. i will appreciate if someone could still guide me or have known of such issue. Thanks!

IamWahid

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
nah. those were the readings during tests. i have installed a monitoring software and it shows 45-58C during windows and idle. However, i ran BIOS and disabled "Optimus" for my nVidia and it has drastically improved. i havent had a single crash since then. wonder why that is so...

IamWahid

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
is it necessary for the fan to run continuously or does it stop briefly and only runs when the pc seems to heat up. i turned my laptop on while my cover was removed to see if the fan was operational and even at 58C core temp it wasnt running. it ran for a few seconds and stopped again. is that normal or do i need a new fan?

Well it should only run when it hits temps at or above what the specs are for that system. You could try replacing the thermal paste and see if that lowers things for you. If not, and you feel the fan is not running enough, then you are obviously free to change it out. :)

Solution