Need Help with Laptop Processors

notneps

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
I'm looking for a decent laptop with a discrete GPU for my wife. A desktop is not an option. While I'm no expert when it comes to computer parts, I'm not completely clueless when it comes to building a PC. However, while looking at laptop CPU specs, I see that all laptop processors (even really expensive ones) have crazy-low clock speeds. While I know that clock speed isn't everything (hence me not owning a single AMD processor), looking at specs for laptop processors have left me confused. I literally have no idea where to start. Why do they have these low clock speeds? Are they underclocked or something to keep temps low? I just want to be able to understand them better in comparison to desktop CPUs.

Since I really don't have a clue what to look for, I don't know what questions to ask, actually. But I guess the following would be a start:

A.) Can modern laptops come close to the performance of a desktop?

B.) Would an i3 (for example) laptop processor running at 2.20 GHz perform roughly the same as a desktop i3 CPU running at 2.20 GHz as well? Or are laptop processors optimized for lower clock speeds?

mnineseven

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014
A.) Sometimes, but you have to pay the price for that!
B.)No, the desktop i3s use more power and give more performance compared to the laptop counterparts. Even if the core clock is the same, the performance will be nowhere near. and yes, they are underclocked for low temps and power usage.
If you are willing despite of the given factors, look for a cheap laptop with atleast a GT 740M or 840M. Anything number above these too is a plus, and expect to run all the games at low settings. If you go higher, the price/performance will keep increasing.

Cheers!

rockie_

Estimable

notneps

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014

So, say I wanted a laptop processor with roughly the same horsepower as an i3-4150 for example. What should I be looking for?

mnineseven

Estimable
Sep 20, 2014

An i5 4200M or better.