Need help with macbook battery

GamerMan101

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
I have a MacBook, from about ~2008 early, according to About This Mac.The problem I need help with is the battery. It shows a black X on the battery icon.

When I unplug it, it turns off.
I have tried a new working Magsafe, no avail. I have also tried the current magsafe on another mac, and it works fine.

Thanks all. I would like to spend no money on a fix.
Thanks all again.

Solution
Go into About This Mac > System Report > Power and look at the cycle count and battery condition. That will tell you what the Mac thinks the battery is doing.
Batteries are an issue a lot of times with older laptops and Mac's are no different. Sounds like your battery is worn out and needs to be replaced. You can easily replace it yourself. I would only buy an OEM Apple battery though as almost all the off brand one's I have tried didn't last more than a couple months. You can find them on Amazon or eBay just make sure you are ordering the correct one for your model. If you provide the model identifier, MacBook5,1 for example, I can tell you which one you need. This is in the About this Mac as well.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Go into About This Mac > System Report > Power and look at the cycle count and battery condition. That will tell you what the Mac thinks the battery is doing.
Batteries are an issue a lot of times with older laptops and Mac's are no different. Sounds like your battery is worn out and needs to be replaced. You can easily replace it yourself. I would only buy an OEM Apple battery though as almost all the off brand one's I have tried didn't last more than a couple months. You can find them on Amazon or eBay just make sure you are ordering the correct one for your model. If you provide the model identifier, MacBook5,1 for example, I can tell you which one you need. This is in the About this Mac as well.

Solution