Need help with my KRK Rokit 5 G2

Aeonosis

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
Hello guys, I've recently moved my KRK Rokit 5 G2 from my PC setup to my Studio setup as I've only just finished building it. However I am experiencing this awful buzzing sound from the speakers which I've never had before (or at least I've never noticed, not to the extent that it is now). I'm convinced It's not a cause from anything else from my setup, which is as follows: a Macbook Pro, Saffire Focusrite Pro 14, My KRK Rokit 5 G2s and then just my midi keyboard and an AKG C1000 microphone.

I've been looking at forums and such and I can't seem to find a solution to the buzzing sound as I've tried disconnecting each piece individually but the humming does not cease, it just remains the same. It kind of sounds like a low volume saw wave with a ever so feint static noise and it is driving me nuts. The thing is though that the sound still persists even when I've taken the speaker to a separate plug in a completely different room and it just has the power cable plugged in. Also the sound doesn't change at all even when I change the volume.

I want to know if purchasing a hum eliminator box as such would help my problem as I really, really hope It's not a fault with my speakers as I really cant afford to buy new ones right now. It is to my understanding that the hum eliminator wouldn't work as I can't connect it to go like: power mains > hum eliminator > speaker. Please tell me if I'm wrong.

ANY help would be massively appreciated
Kind regards
A fellow musician

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Does your speakers still have the noise when its unplugged from any source except for power?

Try to unplug the power on the macbook pro and just run it on battery then connect just the speaker to the laptop. If the sound is gone then you have problem with the switching power-supply. If its still there then try to replace the audio cable.

Aeonosis

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

Yes they do sadly, however one of the speakers makes a much louder buzz than the other one, but last night it wasn't as loud and was at the same level of buzzing as the other speaker. I've tried unplugging and pluggin in everything with all the different combinations and nothing helps, which is why I'm looking into buying the hum destroyer thing, but I fear that even that won't help my case.

makkem

Distinguished
Hi
It seems to be a known problem with these speakers.
If they still make the noise with no audio input then the problem will lie in the power supply and is probably the capacitors as part of the reason they are there is to remove AC (hum) from the DC line.

Aeonosis

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015

I see, what do you suggest I can do then?

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
As makkem said, i thinks it's you capacitor gone bad. how's your soldering skill? reason is you can try to replace them yourself if you know how to solder. otherwise get it repaired. Most people would increase the voltage to increases the breaking point but it's a bad idea to do so, i won't go into technical why but, i'd rather replace it with high grade capacitor like the Elna Silmic II or Panasonic FC with the same ratings and look for metalized polypropylene . however high grade capacitor sometimes have higher heat markings because it can take higher temperature before breakdown.

What you do is to open the box and check for bulging capacitors or leaks. those one need replacing.