Need help with new mic

Jan 15, 2019
First of all, I'd like to point out that I am a total novice when it comes to this sort of stuff so I probably won't understand any technical jargon.

Basically, I purchased a Neewer NW-700 mic the other day (cheap and most of the youtube videos and reviews seemed to be positive for a beginner mic - I am only looking for a mic for gaming so I don't need anything technical).

Anyway, I purchased it and set it up (mic - xlr-xlr - 48v phantom power supply - xlr - 3.5mm - PC).

Unfortunately, the mic is almost silent and when I use the sound boost (+30) it is just lots of background noise.

This appears to be an issue a lot of people are having and so I quickly did some research. It appears as though I am in need of a sound card? (I shall post my specs at the bottom for clarification). This might not be the case but that is what most people are suggesting and I didn't purchase one.

If so, can anyone recommend any good, cheap sound cards? I've seen people mentioning usb-sound cards?

If not, can you please explain the problem? I have the phantom power (Neewer NW-100 48v phantom).

Thank you for your time.

My specs:
Neewer NW-700 mic (and wires, stand, pop-filter, etc.)
Neewer NW-100 48v phantom power.
AMD fx-8320 CPU.
MSI Nvidia GTX 970 GPU.
750w PSU.
2x8gb RAM.
2tb HDD.
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard.