Need opinion on a laptop.

dziire

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hello,

Just found this from lenovo, I get it down to £386 when using the student discount on their website. I need your opinions, are i3's good inside laptops and does the 1.7 clock speed seem slow?

Spoiler due to length of image...

Thanks!

Napking

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
What do you plan to use the laptop for? You said you were using a student discount, so is this for college? Do you plan to use it for gaming, as a media laptop, or just as a workstation?

As a general rule, unless you're doing highly intensive operations like gaming or 3D modeling, a processor's speed isn't going to be the main bottleneck. We've gotten to the point now where the most important part of a processor's usability is its heat efficiency. What that means, essentially, is that newer is better. This is a Haswell i3, so it will be nicely heat efficient. Again, whether or not the processor is going to be good depends on your intended use.

Napking

Estimable
Oct 29, 2014
What do you plan to use the laptop for? You said you were using a student discount, so is this for college? Do you plan to use it for gaming, as a media laptop, or just as a workstation?

As a general rule, unless you're doing highly intensive operations like gaming or 3D modeling, a processor's speed isn't going to be the main bottleneck. We've gotten to the point now where the most important part of a processor's usability is its heat efficiency. What that means, essentially, is that newer is better. This is a Haswell i3, so it will be nicely heat efficient. Again, whether or not the processor is going to be good depends on your intended use.

dziire

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Originally I wanted to do gaming, but with my price limit its pretty much impossible. Yeah it's going to mainly be for work, movies and possibly light video/photo editing.

So you guys believe in the i3? :D

I must sound pathetic, but coming down from an i7 in my desktop feels so wrong!

dziire

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

I wanted to spend up to £450 for a low end gaming laptop, I was also very picky though e.g. i5, 8GB RAM, dedi GPU and 1TB... Just need to take the fact that its impossible haha and probably more in the £550 region.

Thank you all for your help!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
melzx Laptop General Discussion 3
C Laptop General Discussion 1
N Laptop General Discussion 2
X Laptop General Discussion 1
T Laptop General Discussion 1
C Laptop General Discussion 1
I Laptop General Discussion 3
M Laptop General Discussion 9
B Laptop General Discussion 2
J Laptop General Discussion 1