Need recommendation on good quality headphones for gaming with surround sound

Felandro

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015
I don't know much about headphones I haven't done as much research on them but I will be buying a whole new rig and my old sennheisers are falling apart. I am looking to get some new ones that will be mostly for gaming but would like good quality for listening to music and movies if possible. I would like to be able to properly hear where enemies and shots are coming from I have spoken to a friend and he spoke to me about actual and virtual surround sound. He said I would lose music quality from actual surround sound as there are smaller speakers but would get a better sense of direction. What are the best headphones you can recommend under 300$ a mic would be nice but my main concern is directionality and good quality sound.

RazerZ

Honorable
Herald
Aug 18, 2013
What currency is your budget in? For gaming the main features to look for are comfort and a wide sound stage. Which pair of Sennheisers did you have before? How did they break? Did you like their sound signature?

Going with a pair of quality studio headphones would be a much better choice compared to buying a "gaming" branded headset which likely has mediocre sound and build quality for the money. Games come with their own sound engine, a sense of surround sound can be experienced with a pair of standard stereo headphones just fine. If called for you could always use virtual surround sound software that comes with a soundcard or can be downloaded from the net such as Razer Surround.

Felandro

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015

Ah I forgot to add my budget, 300 would be max. My old ones were PC350, the padding is falling apart just through normal use they're 10 years old. I haven't had many headphones but I did like the sound, I was actually looking at either the HD598 or the HD558 as replacements as I don't care if I have to add a mic, sound comes first. I trust these two would sound very good but I don't know if I would be able to properly hear where enemies are coming from or where shots are coming from.

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I have the HD598. Very comfortable and you can use it for hours without any strain.
Only downside, a bit low on the Bass. Some would say it is perfectly balanced, bass heads would obviously disagree.
Highly recommended if the bass is ok with you. You won't be disappointed for sure!!

I am not a gamer. But, I would think headphones designed that well should sound equally good with games.
For gaming you should check out AD700. Supposed to have a fantastic soundstage. Heard they are really good from a friend.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/652611/sennheiser-hd598-for-gaming
http://www.head-fi.org/t/664390/hd598-still-the-king-for-gaming

If you are gonna use for hours, go with HD598. Extremely comfortable.

How do you intend to drive these things? They come alive with power.

Felandro

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015

As I said I don't know much about sound. Any recommendations under 100. Could you explain what you mean by drive?

shaqblogs2011

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011

The Hd598 is available at 150$. With 100$ I am not aware what else is good.

Drive basically means, what is gonna play the headphones? It needs to be powered well and the impedance also "matched right" to a certain extent.
Are you gonna use A portable hand held device like a phone? An amplifier? Your mobo? A soundcard?
My note 2 phone could drive them ok. Average at best. My Chinese mobile Gionee M3 could drive them really well.
An amplifier would be great. If you don't then even a good soundcard should do the trick. Google and check on how best to play them without an amplifier.

Felandro

Estimable
Apr 13, 2015

Sorry I thought you meant amp/sound card which is why I am asking if you had a suggestion. I will be using them for gaming mostly and a little music/movies on my new built desktop. I will not be skimping on parts so if you could recommend a motherboard company or type that has great on board sound that would be helpful. I am Canadian also so those 150$ 598s are around 220-240 here, so if you have an American price equivalent of like 60ish dollar sound card if no mobo suites them well then I could look at that.