Need Recommendations for Camcorder (using it on world trip)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsoulrevival

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
First of all, I am VERY new to camcorders, and have no background in film.

Now, I am looking for a camera to take on a world tour in a year or so (I want to get it now so I can get fully comfortable with all its settings, editing, etc.).

Here's what I am looking for (and what I'll be using it for):

Budget:
$1,000-ish I dont really want to spend more, and I would even like to spend less. But I am mostly concerned with quality. I want to be able to film and have the clearest picture, sharpest edges, and most accurate colors.

What will I be filming:
- I will be doing quite a bit of nature filming. I am taking it to Nepal (Mt. Everest base camp), the rain forest, and even underwater for some footage of the great barrier reef (meaning I need to be able to purchase an underwater case for it as well)
- I will also be doing a bit of shooting in the cities, and will be doing quite a bit during both the day time and night time
What this means: I want fantastic color reproduction (no dull or harsh colors), and I need it to be very well made. Traveling this much might take a little bit of a toll on it, so I really need something durable.

Sound:
I want to capture the sounds of the places I go. When I am in Tokyo, I want the bustle of the city to shine, and when I am in the jungle, I want the chirping, squawking, etc. to be as clear as possible. -- I would prefer to not have to buy a separate mic for the camera, but I will if necessary. Mostly, I just don't want wind sound, dull voices, etc.

Size and Storage:
The smaller the better. I do not want any sort of film camera. I want it to be digital. Also, I will be shooting everything in the highest quality the camera allows, so I need quite a bit of storage space. I would like a big HD if possible... but I have plenty of SD cards if I need to use them. I basically just don't want to run out of space while I am shooting.

Software:
I do not want finicky software on the camera. If it's touchscreen, it better be responsive and accurate. If it's controlled by buttons, I want good buttons, not something that will break off after a month.
Also, the menu system needs to make sense. I hate bad software.

Although, I am not film savvy, I am computer savvy. So if I am not really concerned with video format. I can get the tools I need to convert from one format to another.

Well, thats all I can think of right now... Please let me know what you think is a good direction to go, and why.

Thank you so much!

Solution
What you are looking for is Pro stuff. Try this store - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Over the years, I have purchased Nikon equipment from them. They have all types of professional video equipment too. Be seated when you look at the prices!
What you are looking for is Pro stuff. Try this store - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Over the years, I have purchased Nikon equipment from them. They have all types of professional video equipment too. Be seated when you look at the prices!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.