Need some suggestions and opinions.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Well, I am in the market to step into the world of VR. I need some suggestions. I am looking at the 2 top and only contenders. The Rift or Vive. Now that Oculus has released the touch controllers. The Rift looks like a compete package. Also I will be buying Star Trek Bridge Crew. Just need some feedback and suggestions. It's a tough choice to make that's for sure.

Solution
Just figured since they didn't have room scale that they were going to undercut the price of HTV Vive and be competitive.
Or perhaps team up with Xbox and Win10 to offer VR support on games.

Just seemed odd that the system that had so many problems after launch, and subsequent problems wouldn't try to price there system well under HTC to cut their marketshare.

Perhaps it is a significantly better experience in visual quality than the HTC, or maybe the controllers are so well designed that you forget they are even there. But I haven't used it, so I just don't get what the company is doing.

Not even to mention the founder dude doing all that crazy political stuff, and the pending lawsuit with Zenimax.

It would be interesting to...

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Ok, so this is sorta like asking if you should buy a playstation or an Xbox. The products are fairly equal, but here are some things to think about...

1) Do you want / have the space for RoomScape?
If yes then HTC Vive.
If no / "walking is lame", then Oculus.

2) Does the idea of future VR peripherals excite you?
If yes, then HTC Vive
If no / "Aint nobody got that kind of $$$", then Occulus.

Other than that, they are mostly the same. Oculus is a smidge more pricey if you want to get something akin to roomscape because you have to buy the other camera, and the wiring is a little trickier. On the plus side, they have better controllers.

Oculus does keep some exclusive titles, where HTC is with Steam and it is an open party.

I haven't tried Oculus since Dk2, and I went with HTC, and I have no regrets on the purchase. That said, I have a whole room dedicated to VR and last weekend I even replaced a fan so I could throw grenades at German children in Rec Room without hitting my hand again.

Can any Oculus people tell of their their good/bad experiences?

Sakkura

Distinguished

And the Vive is more expensive if you want to match the comfort and convenience of the Rift with the improved head strap for the Vive.

It's all a bunch of tradeoffs. One major advantage for the Rift is the ASW feature. That means you can run VR with a significantly weaker PC.

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
I think it is really going to come down to if you want RoomScale or not. That is the only MAJOR difference.
Oculus has gone back and forth with it for a while, and it doesn't look like they are going to have a good solution. on the plus side, if you don't care about room scale, then you can... WAIT A TIC?! WTF?!

Rift + Touch = $798*

HTC Vive = $799

If you don't want roomscale, you can save $1.
WTF Oculus?! They were supposed to be cheaper!

Sooo.. the only thing you really get better with the Rift are some nicer controllers and it looks like an Xbox controller and a guitar adapter. But then again, the HTC vive comes with a butload of games that retail for about $100 or less if there is a steam sale.

Oculus people really got to tell me how the Rift is better for the $$$ than HTC Vive, cause I just don't see it. I honestly thought it would be cheaper by like $100. I just don't get it. :(

And I'd like to state.. I owned a Dk2 and loved it. How he heck did they drop the ball and let HTC get ahead of the game?

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I tried the Vive today at a local store. It was kewl. But I want crazy over the wand controller. I wish I could have tried the Rift out. Room scale is kewl. But I don't think it's a big factor to me. Still debating though.

Sakkura

Distinguished

Oculus was never supposed to be cheaper, where did you get that from? If you mean the original launch, that's because it didn't have motion controllers back then.

The Rift is generally more polished hardware. It also comes with more (and better) free software than the Vive.

The Rift also does support room scale, but it's just potentially more finicky to set up (and requires buying an extra camera if you want a larger tracked area).

Tri23

Respectable
May 31, 2016
Just figured since they didn't have room scale that they were going to undercut the price of HTV Vive and be competitive.
Or perhaps team up with Xbox and Win10 to offer VR support on games.

Just seemed odd that the system that had so many problems after launch, and subsequent problems wouldn't try to price there system well under HTC to cut their marketshare.

Perhaps it is a significantly better experience in visual quality than the HTC, or maybe the controllers are so well designed that you forget they are even there. But I haven't used it, so I just don't get what the company is doing.

Not even to mention the founder dude doing all that crazy political stuff, and the pending lawsuit with Zenimax.

It would be interesting to try the HTC and Oculus with the same software and see how they compare.

Solution

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I ordered the oculus rift with touch. I really didn't like the Vive's wand when I tried it. And room scale isn't a big deal for me. And if I want room scale. I can just order another sensor. Can't wait to get it.

Sakkura

Distinguished

They do have roomscale, why do you keep claiming otherwise?

The system that had so many problems after launch? What problems?

Some minor dabbling in political satire by one of the founders (not the only founder) is really irrelevant, as is the lawsuit. Doesn't affect the consumer.

TRENDING THREADS