Need suggestion for buying new gaming laptop

Neolitz

Commendable
May 13, 2016
1. What is your budget?
- Around IDR 20.000.000 (around 1.400 USD)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
- 15,6" or 17" (17 preferred)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
- at least 1080p

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
- I still have my pc for primary gaming

5. How much battery life do you need?
- anything works

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
- yes, mostly overwatch, LoL, CoD series, and etc.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
- it will be coding and movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
- i would prefer ssd with hdd, ssd at least 120gb and hdd at least 320gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
- as long it within my reach, i prefer buy on store to check the item myself. as for the site that seems good http://www.itgaleri.com/product-category/laptop/?orderby=price-desc&filter_product_brand=232

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
- probably > 5 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
- anything works. even without it.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
- MSI is my primary choice, but i'm still accepting others.
- Also the glowing keyboard, damn it's cool.

13. What country do you live in?
- Indonesia

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
- the ideals would be 17" IPS panel + ssd + hdd + i7 (skylake) + Nvidia GTX970M + 16GB RAM (i would turn of virtual memory to boost the performance)
- i already have some list that i made myself, but i would like to get more suggestion, since it wont be easy to replace after i bought it.

Solution
MSI is the only brand you'd recognize that actually "makes" a laptop.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China. Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple...
MSI is the only brand you'd recognize that actually "makes" a laptop.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China. Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP

The gaming laptop industry was created by Clevo .... Alienware made a name for itself selling Clevo laptops and did so well they were eventually purchased by Dell. Like all the others above, all the notable gaming laptop suppliers use Clevo as their OEM .... WidowsPC, VoodooPC, FalconNorthwest, etc. If you buy direct from Clevo, you can cut out the middleman and pay quite a bit less.

As for your questions / comments ....

- 5 years is bit of a stretch

- I can tell you from experience and blind testing with various users, You won't be able tell the difference between an SSHD and a SSD and 120 GB is too small to be of use.

- I have yet to see / read about an IPS panel suitable for gaming for less than $700

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-and-reseller-info.91510/

CLEVO is a large Taiwanese computer company specializing in laptops. While the Clevo brand name is perhaps not widely known, their products are re-branded and sold by known boutique brand OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers)… notably Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, etc. They are also considered (by whoever knows about notebooks) to design and manufacturer the best of the best notebooks in terms of superior build quality and innovative designs.

You will find a list of worldwide distributors at the end of the above link.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/592609-clevo-guide-v3-0-faq-reseller-info-read-before-posting.html

The important think here is that after picking a base model yo get to choose all the other components that go into the lappie. The mass market vendors "sell you" with a few "name" components and then use "no name" brands and lower performance items for which they can pay less to make up the rest of the parts list.

Solution

Neolitz

Commendable
May 13, 2016

hi, thanks for the information.

as for right now my pc have 3 kinds of storage.
- ssd (purely os and antivirus)
- sshd (for game)
- hdd (for data)

i never test ssd vs sshd for os tho :)

well 5 years, not for its gaming, like even with low setting, at least it works.

IPS panel are nice, i have 1 ips and 1 lcd. its so better.

Neolitz

Commendable
May 13, 2016

unfortunately i can't. i already did a search around. and mostly it's a big risk
no support center
and probably get international warranty.

my best bet are on MSI, alienware are ridiculously pricey.

Alienware was a Clevo distributor until it was bought by Dell and tanked.

Clevo / Sager appears to have a presence in Indonesia, tho I'm thwarted by language here.

http://fjb.kaskus.co.id/product/000000000000000003790896/spesialis-laptop-gaming-customhardcore-quotsager-clevoquot-tentukan-spek-amp-budget-kamu/

http://www.jagatreview.com/2014/06/computex-2014-booth-raid-clevo/

Neolitz

Commendable
May 13, 2016
after a serious thought, and thinking of plenty variables.
finally i decide to go with

MSI GE72 6QD
- Intel 6700HQ
- 8gb DDR4
- GTX960M 2G
- 1TB HDD
- and msi features

when i get the device in their showroom/gaming store, i instantly add M2 SSD Sata and uses MSI burn recovery features to move the OEM OS to SSD.
I also plan to upgrade the RAM to CMSX16GX4M2A2400C16, but unfortunately the stock are none, and the store is closing till mid july because of holiday.

If you guys having suggestion about what ram is the best, please do tell me. the store that i normally buy item are http://www.enterkomputer.com/memoryram.php

As for clevo, i tried my best, but those link are not selling clevo anymore, i literally never seen anyone use clevo in my country. My guess are they are closed down.

at this very moment, i'm typing with it :)
Thanks for the suggestion.