Need suggestions : buy new laptop or repair motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterX

Honorable
May 20, 2012
So here is the situation. I bought a HP pavilion g6-2005ax 2 years back for rs 35K ($585). Used it to play a few games (I know I shouldn't have). Within a year the motherboard was fried. But HP replaced it. Now I've faced the same problem again (didn't play any games this time!). But I'm out of warrantee period.

So the question is should I repair it or should I buy a new laptop? I'm guessing repair cost is around $130.

Also in case I do opt for buying a new one, any suggestions?!
Budget: rs 40k ($700)
Usage: moderate but long hours. Mainly net surfing, reading PDFs and CPU intensive programming.
Requirements: have to be an Intel build, 4 GB or more RAM.
NOT needed: dedicated graphics, windows 7/8/8.1 (DOS would be good enough)

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Hello, you are in India correct?

First, I wouldn't bother trying to fix that laptop. If the motherboard has died twice it seems to be a bad model and likely to break again. better idea would be to try and sell it, maybe someone will need the LCD or want the hard drive or RAM and you can re-gain a little lost cash from it.

For laptops, likely if you are doing a lot of CPU intensive work, you are correct Intel is a better choice. However, you should keep in mind that the low power Intel CPUs like the ones made to save power and the Pentium and Celeron series of CPUs will have worse perfromence than high end AMD processors, and you might get a better deal to go with AMD. Just a suggestion not to cut them out completely.

Also just so you...

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Hello, you are in India correct?

First, I wouldn't bother trying to fix that laptop. If the motherboard has died twice it seems to be a bad model and likely to break again. better idea would be to try and sell it, maybe someone will need the LCD or want the hard drive or RAM and you can re-gain a little lost cash from it.

For laptops, likely if you are doing a lot of CPU intensive work, you are correct Intel is a better choice. However, you should keep in mind that the low power Intel CPUs like the ones made to save power and the Pentium and Celeron series of CPUs will have worse perfromence than high end AMD processors, and you might get a better deal to go with AMD. Just a suggestion not to cut them out completely.

Also just so you know, gaming on a laptop does not damage it. You can play games on it without any risk of causing damage, just so you know in future.

It is late here, but tomorrow I will have a look at flipkart and see which laptops look best for you.

Solution

Recycled

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013
I refurbish a lot of laptops, but that model is not worth working on. It will break again.

Even if that was a good model (e.g., a Lenovo ThinkPad or Fujisu LifeBook) I would not try to replace a motherboard. I'd buy a stripped system with the case, screen, and motherboard. Then I'd move everything (battery, processor, RAM, HDD) to the new system.

Replacing a motherboard will lead to Windows calling You a pirate.

entimaniac

Estimable
Feb 24, 2014
I agree with most everyone else. It was a relatively cheap laptop to begin with, I don't think paying 20-30% of the initial cost for a repair is a good idea if it has suffered the same thing twice. I'd go with a new brand and model.

Status
Not open for further replies.