Need suggestions for a laptop (Form filled)

zachster104

Honorable
Dec 30, 2013
I am looking to buy a laptop for my wife. I don't want to spend more than $400 on it but I also don't want something that wont last. I was thinking of buying a better computer that is a little older (one to two years). One idea is to buy a Microsoft Surface 3 off ebay. She will mainly use it for normal functions and nothing like video editing but that doesn't mean she wants a slow computer.

Can you recommend a computer I can find for under $400 either online somewhere or on ebay that will be reliable and worth the money?

COMPLETE FORM
1. What is your budget?
$400
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14" and under
3. What screen resolution do you want?
not a huge issue but I'd say pretty good
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
it will be used as her only computer
5. How much battery life do you need?
4+ hours
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
sufing web, watching youtube videos, microsoft programs
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
minimum 128gb
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
ebay, microcenter, etc.. It doesnt matter to me
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
4+ years
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
not important
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
She doesnt want an Apple
13. What country do you live in?
USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Solution
Probably one the best what you can find right now:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchscreen-Performance-SuperMulti-Bluetooth/dp/B01N9BVXV7/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481295364&sr=1-3&keywords=laptop+6200U&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A7817224011%2Cp_36%3A-40000

It has the new i3 Kaby Lake CPU, which is more energy efficient making the battery run longer, great 8GB of RAM, all other necessities and it's within your budget.

Check it full specs for more info

It's a bit above your size tho, sorry for that.

Hope to have helped! :)

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
Probably one the best what you can find right now:
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchscreen-Performance-SuperMulti-Bluetooth/dp/B01N9BVXV7/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1481295364&sr=1-3&keywords=laptop+6200U&refinements=p_n_feature_five_browse-bin%3A7817224011%2Cp_36%3A-40000

It has the new i3 Kaby Lake CPU, which is more energy efficient making the battery run longer, great 8GB of RAM, all other necessities and it's within your budget.

Check it full specs for more info

It's a bit above your size tho, sorry for that.

Hope to have helped! :)

Solution

TwoDogsTwoCats2

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
A friend of mine had similar needs, and I suggested that he try a Chromebook. He has had a good run with that. The drawback is the 128GB of storage, that you indicate, but that could be accomplished with an external drive. Google Doc's, Sheets, etc. will handle the Microsoft stuff.

I'll add that I had to go over and format/reinstall Windows a couple times, as he would get bit with malware, and/or the tech pop-ups that had him call an 800 number for tech support. The Chromebook was as much for safety, as anything.

TRENDING THREADS