Need to buy a cheap laptop that can play WoW

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Hi,

I am helping my girlfriend buy a laptop. She does not play highly demanding graphics video games but her nephews play games like WoW and they visit sometimes.

Please recommend me a laptop. My price limit is around $550 and I would rather spend about $500

thank you

Hello ggsxt;

For $500 you can get a HP G42t
With the HD 5470 graphics upgrade you could get medium graphics settings on WoW and some other popular games.

For a low graphics setting WoW laptop we can probably find you something a bit less expensive with HD 4250 graphics.

ss028.jpg

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

I am looking preferably for a 17inch monitor. The g42t seems to only offer a 14inch one.

I am willing to pay up to $100 for the 17inch monitor above $500.

Thanks for responding.

just out of curiosity what website is that picture from?

HP also has 15.6" and 17.3" models in the same lineup.

HP G72T @ $630 Core i3-370M 2.40GHz CPU 4GB RAM 500GB HDD 17.3" 1600x900 LCD and HD 5470 video card upgrade
You also have the option of saving $50 and going with the default Intel HD Graphics which is part of the CPU package.

HP G62x @ $570 Core i3-370M 2.40GHz CPU (upgrade) 4GB RAM 500GB HDD 15.3" 1366x768 LCD and HD 5470 video card (upgrade)

That website is NotebookCheck It has a lot of handy reference and comparison information;
Intel Core i3-370M CPU review
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 video card review Note the long list of rank ordered video cards on the right - HD 5470 is down in the Class 3 range about 12 down in that category.

Intel HD Graphics Also in the Class 3 category about 15 up from the bottom (should be even lower IMO). It will handle WoW in low graphics. If you reduce the screen resolution to 800x600 you might even squeeze out medium graphics.

The video gaming comparison guide I used is found here: Notebook Gaming List

ss027.jpg

You can sometimes find good deals or coupons on HP laptops:
http://www.dealigg.com/story-HP-Pavilion-dv7t-series
http://www.dealigg.com/story-HP-Home-Coupon-Code-2

You have to think carefully about buying a 'Recertified' laptop (or any PC for that matter).
They can be a very big bargain - you just need to read the fine print and understand what you get (or don't get).
Not the least of which is the 90 day warranty and the limitations on return polices.
Return Policies :This item is covered by Newegg.com's Limited Replacement Only Return Policy.
* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

EdTCOG

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

You have helped me find a laptop. But more importantly you showed me good resources to do the research myself. Thank you! I learned more from your post than a few hundred other websites and posts.

drivethru5889

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Herro everyone. I also am looking for a mid-priced laptop. I want to spend around 650. hopefully not any more than that. I have a pc that I had built for me, but I need a laptop for when I transfer to a 4 year college. My computer is the size of a small car so I probably wont bring it. I'm looking for 4-6 gigs of RAM, and a graphics card that isn't integrated. I play wow and other games so i'd like it to be able to handle those. I don't care if I can't max the settings because that's what my other comp is for. Also, I'd like a comp that would last me a while. I had a toshiba satellite something or other and it lasted me almost 6 years until it would give me 2nd degree burns from getting so hot. I'm rambling.

If anyone has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Fadekyn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
If you're playing WOW, then you should look to the Acers for your price range. For $650 you can easily find a laptop with an ATI 5650 than can easily run WOW at medium settings. Especially if you keep the shadows low to med and the new water low to medium.

Important note, WOW is actually quite CPU dependent so look for an i5, i7 or Phenom quadcore over 2 Ghz. This will help out more than you know.

Just make sure for the $650 range you don't settle for less than an ATI 5650 or Nvidia equivalent.