Need Unlocked Android Phone That Works With T-Mobile

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Hi guys,

I will need to buy a new Android phone by early August. I am looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3 and I assume that it will drop to the low $300s or the high $200s when the S4 is released.

I will be using T-Mobile's $30 5gb Data Plan with Unlimited Texting and 100 Minutes (I will be using Google Voice for unlimited calling- check it out btw you can save tons of money) I will have WiFi about 85% of the time (College/Home)

Are there any other unlocked Android phones that you think I should check out? Around $200-$300. I need them to work fast with T-Mobile's network

I want at least an 8mp camera and a removable SD Card - Sorry Nexus 4 ( I don't care about removable battery), I don't care about the other specs.

Also, would the Samsung Galaxy S3 NA (North American) or International version work better with T-Mobile's network?

Thanks

Solution

That is not true at all... Many GSM phones that are available internationally are fully compatible with t-mobile. I just bought my wife a blu quattro 4.5 ($235) and activated with t-mo (no charge) and it is fully functional... just make sure the device you're buying supports the bands available on T-mo... you can use www.gsmarena.com to check the phone and ensure it supports

GSM 850 / 900 /...
You need a TMobile compatible phone, so basically one from TMobile. They use the AWS 1700/2100 band which most phones don't use unless they are from TMobile, or Wind Mobile in Canada which uses the same band. Most other phones will not work and don't let anyone trying to snail oils salesman on Craiglist or Ebay try and tell you otherwise.

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

That is not true at all... Many GSM phones that are available internationally are fully compatible with t-mobile. I just bought my wife a blu quattro 4.5 ($235) and activated with t-mo (no charge) and it is fully functional... just make sure the device you're buying supports the bands available on T-mo... you can use www.gsmarena.com to check the phone and ensure it supports

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
HSDPA 900 / 1700 / 2100

at a minimum. Also as they light up their LTE network they will be moving the HSDPA over to 1900 MHZ and using 1700 and 2100 for the LTE.

Use this page as a comparison when purchasing your phone and ensure that the frequencies available on the phone at least match the ones on the right side (there can be more that's fine)

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=5281&idPhone2=3520

Solution

seriousgamer

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012

Thank You! I just went to the T-Mobile website and I realized that it said "Bring any Unlocked GSM phone including http://explore.t-mobile.com/phone-sim-card

Sweet deal! Thanks again!

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I couldn't really recommend a reseller as I only buy from amazon or google typically. but I would highly recommend just getting the nexus 4 if you want an unlocked phone. I have it... it's amazing... and at 299+shipping it's a steal.

Also just because they can put almost any GSM phone on their network it doesn't mean you will get their 3g or faux-g with that phone.

Also their list isn't complete as I know 100% that the blu works with their networks and is not listed... Also if it makes you feel better they are a small company from florida and their phones are decent for as cheap as they are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-Mobile_USA#Radio_frequency_spectrum_chart

So basically what I said, you need a 1700/2100 compatible phone, which in the US or Canada and buying a used phone is only TMobile Or Wind Mobile (or Mobilicity). My point was any North American phone won't work on their frequencies. International ones are different but don't tell me I'm wrong by saying phones need 1700/2100 to work on TMobile and then post right below that a TMobile phone needs 1700/2100.

Band IV (W-CDMA 1700 or Advanced Wireless Services) in the United States (T-Mobile USA), Canada (WIND Mobile, Mobilicity, Vidéotron) and Chile (VTR Movil, Nextel Chile)

I'd like to see some international phones that support AWS 1700 as I've looked for a while as I'm in Canada on Wind and limited. Just because you found that one Blu phone, show me this big list of other phones that work on that band.

Lunatasian

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
If you wanna take advantage of their 4g network, then you will need a phone that is t-mobile compatible. 1700/2100 bands.
And BTW, S3 is not going to drop to high 200s or low 300s. Look at the GS2. I recommend the GS2 for you.

Hope I helped!
Tell me how it goes!