Needing a wireless hotspot...

payzf1kr

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I need a wireless hotspot while traveling in our motorhome. Is there something like a "ZTE Mobely" that doesn't use the OBD II port? AND, affordable on retirement.

Solution
So affordable, usable everywhere, Verizon, and stream a movie. Better chances of finding an honest politician.

I would not be the least bit surprised if the Mobely deal had a lot of fine print to it, even more so if you were not ditching your verizon phones and going to at&t (or not getting a direct tv subscription).

If you want to stream a few movies with a cellular plan you need an unlimited plan and need to live in a city that gets good bandwidth. Netflix 1080p movie is 1gb pr hour so 2gb a typical movie. That means you need 3-5mbps constant speed which can be difficult to obtain outside of large metropolitan areas.

If you stay in a single RV park for the bulk of your time then my advice would be to get service from a local...
"affordable" means nothing without a number attached to it as my affordable and your affordable can be very different numbers.

Now what is your goals? Are you wanting something that uses 4G/3G service from your cellular provider, or are you wanting something that will extend/amplify wifi signals in the RV park? These are two very different setups.

For the 4g/3g setup you can get a travel router that will give you a little more flexibility than the hotspots that your phone provider sells but you will still need to get a usb modem from cellular provider (and service) regardless.
If your RV travels includes a lot of rural area or even settling in areas that are not 500k + population cities then even going with verizon/at&t can result in nearly unusable internet connection. I live in a city in southwest that sees 80k increase in population from winter travelers and in most areas even verizon cant get 1mbps internet speed.

payzf1kr

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
Affordable = AT&T had an offer for over a year that was the ZTE Mobely car connect unlimited data for 20 bucks per month. But, the Mobely has been continually out-of-stock. Now it is back-in-stock, but they have stopped the offer. If I were to go with my cell provider (Verizon) and use their "Jetpack" I would have to pay for data used or an outrageously priced "unlimited" plan. RV parks have notoriously poor wifi if/when provided. For the most part we just want to be able to pay bills and surf the net. If we were able to stream a movie that would be great! Do you have any suggestions?

So affordable, usable everywhere, Verizon, and stream a movie. Better chances of finding an honest politician.

I would not be the least bit surprised if the Mobely deal had a lot of fine print to it, even more so if you were not ditching your verizon phones and going to at&t (or not getting a direct tv subscription).

If you want to stream a few movies with a cellular plan you need an unlimited plan and need to live in a city that gets good bandwidth. Netflix 1080p movie is 1gb pr hour so 2gb a typical movie. That means you need 3-5mbps constant speed which can be difficult to obtain outside of large metropolitan areas.

If you stay in a single RV park for the bulk of your time then my advice would be to get service from a local provider. DSL will usually be cheaper, ultimately it comes down to what service your park has available of course. Many android phones have wireless tethering so if you have android phones then that would be a better option to use while traveling from your summer to winter home.

If you do a lot of hopping then there is really no good option. You are at the liberty of what the cellular carriers charge. Currently there is no good inexpensive plans, possibly something will come up around Christmas time. If you want reliability more than 100 miles outside of major metropolitan areas your choices are pretty much Verizon and Verizon.

Solution