Solved! Nehalem processor upgrade in laptop

Dec 6, 2018
I have an Asus b53j laptop sitting around and i decided to upgrade it. Currently it has an i3 370m processor and i ordered a i7 920xm. When i place it the computer just flashesh the screen and when it is supposed to show bios it restarts and keeps in boot. With old processor it works fine. So i decided the bios does not have microcode for this CPU and i asked for help on bios mods forum. The guy there checked the bios and said that the bios has the microcode for the CPU so i am clueless. Any ideas?

Solution
I would recommend going with a 2-core i7-640m. The clockspeed increase alone made a HUGE difference from my i5-450m.

It's likely the motherboard itself cannot support the power draw of that CPU. On top of that, Nehalem CPUs make a crap ton of heat, and you'd likely throttle due to thermals even if you could get it to run.
Dec 6, 2018

There is only one release from Asus and al guy from bios mods from checked it and said that it supports the 920xm

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Double check the seating of the CPU when installed. It is also possible that the CPU itself is defective.

When installed, can you get into the BIOS?

This is the system, correct?

https://www.asus.com/Commercial-Laptops/ASUSPRO_ADVANCED_B53J/specifications/

Dec 6, 2018

This is the system yes. And no, I can't get in bios it just resets before showing any screen. Any way to check the cpu i don't have another motherboard to check with

COLGeek

Cybernaut
When reviewing the specs, it seems that CPU is not listed. The CPU you are attempting to install is rated at 55w TDP. The highest rated CPU on the Asus list of CPUs is 35w TDP. The motherboard may simply not be able to support the wattage of the new CPU.

https://ark.intel.com/products/43126/Intel-Core-i7-920XM-Processor-Extreme-Edition-8M-Cache-2-00-GHz-

https://ark.intel.com/products/43560/Intel-Core-i7-620M-Processor-4M-Cache-2-66-GHz-

Dec 6, 2018

What are your longer term goals and objectives with respect to IT?

My suggestion is to stay with a listed CPU (i.e., 35 watt) and have a system that you can use for lots and lots of other viable experiments.

Rather than just a single "55 watt CPU " experiment that may lead to ruin.

dudeman509

Estimable
Jan 23, 2015
I would recommend going with a 2-core i7-640m. The clockspeed increase alone made a HUGE difference from my i5-450m.

It's likely the motherboard itself cannot support the power draw of that CPU. On top of that, Nehalem CPUs make a crap ton of heat, and you'd likely throttle due to thermals even if you could get it to run.

Solution
Dec 6, 2018

Thank you very much

Dec 6, 2018
Ok after some trials and errors and research i find out that it is impossible to run quad core processors on this machine. The main reason is that Clarksfield procesors don't have integrated GPU. This GPU is crucial because most of the machines with qm57 chipset have only the integrated gpu connected to the screen and video outputs. Some more expensive models have hardware MUX and can use solely the dedicated GPU but most rely in software solutions to use the dedicated GPU when more power is needed. So unless the manufacture specifications says that the model can support quad core it is impossible to run Clarkfield. Best CPUs on Arrendale are i7 620m or i7 640 which can be run on those machines.