Netflix’s password-sharing crackdown got me — here’s what happened

JorgTheElder

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2015
In the past sharing your password was not a privilege, it was literally against the contract you agreed to when you signed up for Netflix and yet you have the brass ones to say "I’m staunchly against businesses making life more difficult for paying customers".

It is incredibly hypocritical to claim the moral high ground when you have been in breach of contract the whole time. You and people like you brought this on yourself.

Reactions: Dilbert_1
Jun 10, 2023
I think if you are watching Netflix on a mobile phone you should be fine. The only thing you need to do is cast your smartphone to your TV.

Jun 11, 2023
There are absolutely free streaming options available that provide all of the content from all of the streaming services for $0. You can watch content from Netflix, Paramount+, Hulu, Apple+, HBO, all of them with no problem at no cost. Streaming services making their services more expensive and less user friendly is just encouraging people to seek out and employ these alternatives. Sure disabling password sharing might increase revenues in the short run but in the long run people are going to rebel.

Jeltz191

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2016
Absolute rubbish. Netflix created a problem of their own volition. The correct solution is to change the subscription model to "a fixed number of devices that can be used anywhere". Then we can choose who to allocate those devices too, and Netflix still get their subscription fee. And terms and conditions are met. You need a dose of history.

Part of Netflix's popularity and the reason they got my business in the first place was because I could share the subscription with my family, most of whom were, and are, in no position to afford a subscription of their own. I really thought that finally a company got it - a family sticks together no matter what their makeup nor where they are. Who defines the family is of no concern to the company. But no: The recent crackdown simply indicates Netflix has no understanding of what a modern family consists of, nor the reality they may not indeed be "under one roof" (ahem residing at one IP address). It is all about "reclaiming revenue" by reducing the terms and conditions that were responsible for their very success! Yet another standard big company policy mantra of more profit by reducing product size and maintaining price. Fine, but not after you have created the value expectation of being a family friendly company.

Meanwhile the real cheaters (i.e. those on-selling content or just generally aka broadcasting) will just set up VPN networks and Netflix can be none the wiser.

My advice to Netflix: Pull your head in and go with something like my suggestion above, or they will have lost a premium customer.

Jun 11, 2023
I do agree that the IP address monitoring will create problems for paying customers.
A hotel stay would involve verification of a new IP address and a device previously connected to your home IP address within the last 31 days. I don't think you can just login at a hotel anymore. So hopefully a person also watched on a device other than those connected to the TV at home. Older people usually don't want to watch on their phones so would probably forget and have to become accustomed to using Netflix on their phone before traveling. You can then watch several programs after verification as the new IP address is at a fixed location.
Now try using Netflix on a device designed for a TV viewing experience well traveling in a vehicle. For example some screens connected to headrests with a HDMI splitter between them connected to a FireTV stick for the source. How many times will the IP address change and need verification during a trip. This setup is now worthless with Netflix. You would need a phone or tablet with a HDMI out to replace the Fire TV stick. That or some tablets instead of the screens each eating data.
Netflix has completely changed the experience of traveling and making it easy to view anywhere.

Dilbert_1

Honorable
May 18, 2017
Absolute rubbish. Netflix created a problem of their own volition. The correct solution is to change the subscription model to "a fixed number of devices that can be used anywhere". Then we can choose who to allocate those devices too, and Netflix still get their subscription fee. And terms and conditions are met. You need a dose of history.

Part of Netflix's popularity and the reason they got my business in the first place was because I could share the subscription with my family, most of whom were, and are, in no position to afford a subscription of their own. I really thought that finally a company got it - a family sticks together no matter what their makeup nor where they are. Who defines the family is of no concern to the company. But no: The recent crackdown simply indicates Netflix has no understanding of what a modern family consists of, nor the reality they may not indeed be "under one roof" (ahem residing at one IP address). It is all about "reclaiming revenue" by reducing the terms and conditions that were responsible for their very success! Yet another standard big company policy mantra of more profit by reducing product size and maintaining price. Fine, but not after you have created the value expectation of being a family friendly company.

Meanwhile the real cheaters (i.e. those on-selling content or just generally aka broadcasting) will just set up VPN networks and Netflix can be none the wiser.

My advice to Netflix: Pull your head in and go with something like my suggestion above, or they will have lost a premium customer.
Cry more.

Gaymer313

Honorable
Aug 4, 2016
In the past sharing your password was not a privilege, it was literally against the contract you agreed to when you signed up for Netflix and yet you have the brass ones to say "I’m staunchly against businesses making life more difficult for paying customers".

It is incredibly hypocritical to claim the moral high ground when you have been in breach of contract the whole time. You and people like you brought this on yourself.
If that's always been true, why did Netflix brag about password sharing in 2017?

If "love is sharing the password" then, it should still be love today.

Sounds like corporate greed trumps love.

Canceled my account out of principal.

View: https://flic.kr/p/2oGJGmA

Jun 13, 2023
"I’m now paying a larger sum of money a month to still have access to the streaming service. ...
I’m staunchly against businesses making life more difficult for paying customers in an effort to make more money for themselves, and unfortunately, that’s what Netflix is doing here.
My other concern with Netflix’s password-sharing crackdown is that it will start a new streaming trend."

You list three good reasons not to comply with Netflix's crack down, but in the end you cave to watch re-runs of Gilmore Girls? For $30 you can buy a season of Gilmore Girls (I'd suggest one that is not on Netflix), and at least make a show of being "staunch" by canceling your Netflix subscription for a few months.

Netflix has raised it's prices 5 times in 8 years, and now they've picked the most intrusive way to squeeze a few more bucks out of their customers. I share my Netflix account with my 80 year old mom. If she watches an hour a month it's a lot (and often that's when I'm visiting). The minute Netflix demands I get a separate account for her, I'm canceling. There's plenty to watch without them.