Netflix Finally Lands on iPhone, iPod Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0le

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
[citation][nom]rcarm[/nom]There's a lot of M-rated movies on Netflix. I wonder how this got approved...[/citation]

Because your Netflix account has parental controls to limit what can be viewed on your account

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
I think a great usage model I don't know it it's possible is to stream a movie from the phone at full resolution and display it on a normal TV. Some phones even have HDMI out capability. Imagine going to a friend's house for a movie, if he doesn't have Netflix hooked up to the TV you just connect your phone and off you go, bandwidth permitting of course.

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
Yeah, unless you still have the unlimited plan until your contract is up, AT&T should be pushing for more people to stream movies...so your cap gets beat to sh^^

pakardbell486dx2

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008
i wonder how this compares to hacked version that you could use on a jailbroken iphone/touch. It was used for the ipad but then you could use open ssh and copy the app to your iphone/touch and do some tweaks and then u had netflix. I am just wondering if some how this official is not crippled in any way. If not then will remove my hacked version and get the official one. Also when i mean hacked i don't mean i hacked netflix to get free movies, i do pay for the service.

Dragonmaster384

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
[citation][nom]pakardbell486dx2[/nom]i wonder how this compares to hacked version that you could use on a jailbroken iphone/touch. It was used for the ipad but then you could use open ssh and copy the app to your iphone/touch and do some tweaks and then u had netflix. I am just wondering if some how this official is not crippled in any way. If not then will remove my hacked version and get the official one. Also when i mean hacked i don't mean i hacked netflix to get free movies, i do pay for the service.[/citation]

I did that as well, just a few days before they released the official app. xP

I uninstalled the hacked version and put the official one on instead, it works better, as it actually has the ability to search and add things to your queue built-in instead of using the website. =D

theodan

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Too bad AT&T is so messed up even in downtown friggin Chicago that I can only watch 5 fluid seconds between stutters.

twbg4cq

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
[citation][nom]theodan[/nom]Too bad AT&T is so messed up even in downtown friggin Chicago that I can only watch 5 fluid seconds between stutters.[/citation]
Have you tried it on Wifi

theodan

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
[citation][nom]twbg4cq[/nom]Have you tried it on Wifi[/citation]
Yeah, it's good on wifi, but that seems rather anti-climactic. The point of a cell phone is that you're supposed to be able to use it where you don't have wifi access.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
I'm on a jailbroken 3.12 iPhone and have apps I don't want to lose (mywi and pdanet for tethering). I also heard that it is best to stay with 3.12 if you don't want at&t to detect the tether. Does anyone know if there is any way to install netflix on this (fake the version number or such)?

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
nevermind. answered my own question with a little googleing.

Found this hack that was for getting the iPad version before this was release. It boils down to editting Info.plist and change the text '3.1.3' to '3.1.2' :)

http://www.iphonedownloadblog.com/2010/05/30/netflix-app-hacked-to-work-on-iphone/

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Also if you are having trouble with the av cable. I found that tvout2 from cydia fixes that. Had to play with the settings a bit, but in the end it worked too.

Kaiser_25

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Ya streaming this on 3g you need to let the movie buffer for a min or two, then it worked fine for me, the thing im worried about is if at&t's network can support this insane amount of bandwidth that will be drawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.