Netflix on PS3 Will Require Special Blu-ray Disc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I don't care if you have a 360 or PS3 like me, Streaming Video is not even close to Bluray quality so stop argueing about nothing. Streaming Video is a solution for a small market of people who do not want or can not afford Bluray, it is not a replacement to Bluray. If your internet can not handle mass volume, streaming is horrible, it skips, pauses, and sound scatters. Unless you have a T1 connection streaming is a joke to say the least.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
hopefully the disc thing is a one time deal.
the whole point in streaming media is that one does not have to get up to start the video

i rip all my dvd's simply so that i do not have to get up and find the physical media. i just open the movie folder on the network share.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dustinsroberts83[/nom]are you going to buffer 30Gb? Didn't think so.[/citation]Blinded by hatred are you? There is no connection speed limit to buffering. Are people unable to watch Youtube on dial-up?

The movie may not start instantly. You may have to wait 2 or 3 hrs before the movie is available to be watched, but most people queue their movies.

To argue this is plain silly.

FAIL!

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I would sign up IF new releases were available via stream. But when I had netflix, the only online content they had were mostly older movies.

dustinsroberts83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Blinded by hatred are you? There is no connection speed limit to buffering. Are people unable to watch Youtube on dial-up?

The movie may not start instantly. You may have to wait 2 or 3 hrs before the movie is available to be watched, but most people queue their movies.

To argue this is plain silly.

FAIL!

What are you talking about. Hatred towards what? Nobody is arguing that buffering is limited by your connection. All I was saying is that nobody is going to buffer a movie for 2-3hrs.

thecolonel2323

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]You still fail either way. It isn't $5/month if you pay month-to-month and there is no state tax rate of 20% which would be required to hike the price up to $60. On top of that you pay for Xbox live on xbox live... you'd be dumb to have it shipped. Either way, you're wrong.[/citation]

You are just one really prickly fellow, huh?

The exact monthly price of xbox isn't $5 so that must completely invalidate my point that it requires an additional monthly fee. Well guess what the per month price of xbox is actually $8 an even worse deal.

And why not pay for it on xbox live? Because MS is notorious for bad security and giving them your cc number could be bad?

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dustinsroberts83[/nom]What are you talking about. Hatred towards what? Nobody is arguing that buffering is limited by your connection. All I was saying is that nobody is going to buffer a movie for 2-3hrs.[/citation]You must also not understand why people download things for 2-3 hrs...

FAIL.

p3rs0n

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Microsoft is a stingy, selfish 2 year old who whines when he doesn't get the most expensive gift. The PS3's PSN is win. This is another brick in its wall! WOOT!

dustinsroberts83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]You must also not understand why people download things for 2-3 hrs...FAIL.[/citation]

Wow. You just want to argue. I can understand downloading something for 2-3 hrs, I do it all the time. You are just trying to push your bias opinion of consoles. I think both platforms are great in their own way. And stop with the FAIL comment, you just look ridiculous!

mactruck

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Do you have to return the disc or is it just a throw away? Does it count as a movie rental?[/citation]

The disc is yours to keep and doesn't count as a rental. The sign-up page where you request your disc doesn't have much more detail, but you need to have a plan with unlimited online viewing to qualify for the PS3 disc. Other than that, the new service should work the same way it would streaming Netflix to your PC or 360. Hopefully it is as nice as the Windows7 media center integration.

theramman

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2009
Well this is cool ;)
After I built my PC my PS3 is really just used used to play exclisive games and watch my BD+DVDs till I get a BB drive for my PC and a prgram that upconverts DVDs (BTW if anyone has a link that an upconverter) ;)

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I don't see the issue of having to have a disk. Those of you arguing that the 360's way is better, and it is. Aren't looking at the big picture. A 360 DOES NOT come with Blu ray or a wireless adapter as the PS3 does.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolonel2323[/nom]You are just one really prickly fellow, huh?The exact monthly price of xbox isn't $5 so that must completely invalidate my point that it requires an additional monthly fee. Well guess what the per month price of xbox is actually $8 an even worse deal.And why not pay for it on xbox live? Because MS is notorious for bad security and giving them your cc number could be bad?[/citation]

I'm sorry that I called your BS. Next time don't make stuff up or throw out illogical conclusions and I won't call you out on them. Deal?

dustinsroberts83

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Netherscourge[/nom]So you need to have a disc running in your PS3 to watch streaming movies?... uh.... ok....[/citation]

Why does it matter? Is it really that much trouble. Besides, as others have pointed out, it is only until an update is made to the PSN.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Kinda Jimmy rigged there, but of course it's not like MS has done temp fixes like that and then provided an update to take care of it latter. Still, Sony really needs to loosen their grip on the PS3 a little so that apps like this netflix thing can be added easily. I still think the PS3s biggest liability is it's development cost.

p3rs0n

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I'm sorry that I called your BS. Next time don't make stuff up or throw out illogical conclusions and I won't call you out on them. Deal?[/citation]

No, Tayb. No. You are acting like a Microshaft fanboy.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Cool, but it should be implemented natively in the firmware if they seriously want to advertise this as a feature of the PS3 - it should be a download that just runs a Netflix client like the folding@home app.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]gerohmygosh[/nom]1080p content on what bandwidth? Last time I checked, Blu-rays play at about 36 Mbps. That or it'll be one majorly compressed video.[/citation]

Blu-Ray may but you forget that not all HD based codecs need that amount of bandwidth to actually play in 1080p/5.1. Blu-Ray is great for what it is but there are tons of better codecs for HD, such as .mkv, that can be used to stream that quality over a lower end connection.

That and not every movie will need to use 36Mbps or an entire single layer BD. And buffering. Most systems will check your bandwidth and buffer it to the point where you wont see any interupptions.

dhowie

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]mactruck[/nom]I ordered my free blu-ray disc from Netflix last night and I don't pay the extra blu-ray rental fee. As was reported on other sites, this disc is just a temporary solution until Sony releases a new firmware update to add the Netflix service to the XMB.[/citation]

its just temporary guys, i'd love to have a ps3 netflix player between my mac and pc down with viruses and bugs, my xbox crashing every two minutes, and my linux box awaiting the new silverlight alternative to catch up to current silverlight coding. Its a glimmer of hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.