Netflix on PS3 Will Require Special Blu-ray Disc

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thecolonel2323

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I'm sorry that I called your BS. Next time don't make stuff up or throw out illogical conclusions and I won't call you out on them. Deal?[/citation]
I don't understand how it was BS. I had actually underestimated the monthly cost which made my point even more valid. Either way I am done arguing with a fanboy like you.

Gonna go play xbox instead of reading your BS!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
you have got to be kidding... they run it thru bdlive?? so I have to get up, eject the game i've been playing, put that disk in, then wait for the slow java bdlive to boot up? that is Crap!! make it a God Damn APP!
this is a stupid idea! I would say its Lazy, but I honestly think it was probably harder for them to do it this convoluted way!

bublack33

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
[citation][nom]p3rs0n[/nom]Microsoft is a stingy, selfish 2 year old who whines when he doesn't get the most expensive gift. The PS3's PSN is win. This is another brick in its wall! WOOT![/citation]

I really don't understand any of your logic here. The point of streaming is so its INSTANT. If I had to wait 2-3 hours to rent a video, I would just go and rent it locally, even if it did cost a little extra. If I decided I wanted to watch Transformers 2 when I got home at 6, I would have to wait till around 9. After the movie it would be after 11. Having to plan ahead by 5 hours is completely rediculus. BTW at the end of the movie, you own the download.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]I don't care if you have a 360 or PS3 like me, Streaming Video is not even close to Bluray quality so stop argueing about nothing. Streaming Video is a solution for a small market of people who do not want or can not afford Bluray, it is not a replacement to Bluray. If your internet can not handle mass volume, streaming is horrible, it skips, pauses, and sound scatters. Unless you have a T1 connection streaming is a joke to say the least.[/citation]
T1 is old hat. You can get a FioS connection which is much faster than T1 for much less of a price.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Those with Netflix accounts and PS3s will need a special "instant streaming" Blu-ray Disc that will be free to Netflix members.

free
free
free

What in the world are you all whingeing about?

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Blu-Ray may but you forget that not all HD based codecs need that amount of bandwidth to actually play in 1080p/5.1. Blu-Ray is great for what it is but there are tons of better codecs for HD, such as .mkv, that can be used to stream that quality over a lower end connection.That and not every movie will need to use 36Mbps or an entire single layer BD. And buffering. Most systems will check your bandwidth and buffer it to the point where you wont see any interupptions.[/citation]
That's what I was getting at by saying "That or it'll be one majorly compressed video." =]

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
you people are putting to damn much though to this deal, its just a DISC you put it in and then wait until it's freaking ready. NOT A BIG DEAL, plus how many people said already, it's just temporary.
The way people argue about things it's nothing but lame, shame on you guys! ;) there is not best without the competition, there is not worst if there is no one to compare to. So suck it up! there isn't one better than the other because its the buyer who decides what's better for him. Remember that you may be talking to a buyer as your self.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I must agree with dkz above. This isn't a slight against the Xbox, it's just another plus for the PS3. For folks who own both consoles and have an Xbox live account solely to access Netflix, then this will probably get them to use their PS3 in the future and save the monthly fee on Xbox.

For folks who own only an Xbox, this isn't going to make them rush out to buy a PS3. I think they'd rather pay a few dollars per month for a few more years than spend a few hundred on a PS3. You'd have to use Xbox Live for about 6 more years before it becomes smarter to go with the PS3 option. Personally, I am expecting the next line of consoles to be out by then.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Can't they just offer a free download on the PSN network instead of the disc?

I'd get the disc but it seems like a redundant step in the process, and what better to get new customers than offering a "free" netflix client download on PSN.

People will get it then realize they actually have to pay a subscription for the movies, but chances are the download will add some new customers for netflix as a result. The only people who are going to request a mailed disc are current netflix subscribers.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]p3rs0n[/nom]Microsoft is a stingy, selfish 2 year old who whines when he doesn't get the most expensive gift. The PS3's PSN is win. This is another brick in its wall! WOOT![/citation]
[citation][nom]p3rs0n[/nom]No, Tayb. No. You are acting like a Microshaft fanboy.[/citation]

Do you even think when you type? I cant imagine how dumb you sound when you talk if you cant think before you even type... You have plenty of time to register what comes out of your head and end up typing it, let alone hit backspace to not look like such an ignorant and dumb really. How can you call someone a fanboy when its way too clear to any other kiddo like yourself that you are from the worst of the kind?

On topic: Sony keeps amazing this gen around with innovation and options, dont they? PSN getting a XBL alike facelift by the day and specially in options, Wand ( gay version of Wiimote ), Arcade titles on the PSN network ( BXLA ripoff too ) and now they are telling us when only the 360 has Netflix that THEY will be the best solution? When is the part that they say " Yeah we have been the worst so far, you paid for our console TOO much, specially if you werent interested in the BR for movies, and you have been with less exclusives playing worst versions of crossplatforms and feel LUCKY if they isnt just a year delay from its release on the 360"?

Then again they have kiddos, like p3rs0n. Do you have a colar on saying "Sony"? lol

For those that are normal though its a good thing and grats to them gaining access to the services through their console :)

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]manos[/nom]Do you even think when you type? I cant imagine how dumb you sound when you talk if you cant think before you even type... You have plenty of time to register what comes out of your head and end up typing it, let alone hit backspace to not look like such an ignorant and dumb really. How can you call someone a fanboy when its way too clear to any other kiddo like yourself that you are from the worst of the kind?On topic: Sony keeps amazing this gen around with innovation and options, dont they? PSN getting a XBL alike facelift by the day and specially in options, Wand ( gay version of Wiimote ), Arcade titles on the PSN network ( BXLA ripoff too ) and now they are telling us when only the 360 has Netflix that THEY will be the best solution? When is the part that they say " Yeah we have been the worst so far, you paid for our console TOO much, specially if you werent interested in the BR for movies, and you have been with less exclusives playing worst versions of crossplatforms and feel LUCKY if they isnt just a year delay from its release on the 360"?Then again they have kiddos, like p3rs0n. Do you have a colar on saying "Sony"? lolFor those that are normal though its a good thing and grats to them gaining access to the services through their console[/citation][citation][nom]manos[/nom]Do you even think when you type? I cant imagine how dumb you sound when you talk if you cant think before you even type... You have plenty of time to register what comes out of your head and end up typing it, let alone hit backspace to not look like such an ignorant and dumb really. How can you call someone a fanboy when its way too clear to any other kiddo like yourself that you are from the worst of the kind?On topic: Sony keeps amazing this gen around with innovation and options, dont they? PSN getting a XBL alike facelift by the day and specially in options, Wand ( gay version of Wiimote ), Arcade titles on the PSN network ( BXLA ripoff too ) and now they are telling us when only the 360 has Netflix that THEY will be the best solution? When is the part that they say " Yeah we have been the worst so far, you paid for our console TOO much, specially if you werent interested in the BR for movies, and you have been with less exclusives playing worst versions of crossplatforms and feel LUCKY if they isnt just a year delay from its release on the 360"?Then again they have kiddos, like p3rs0n. Do you have a colar on saying "Sony"? lolFor those that are normal though its a good thing and grats to them gaining access to the services through their console[/citation]

while you have the "compatible with microsoft windows 7" sticker tattooed on your forehead LOL

G

MS was to have exclusive rights on netflix in the contract and the disc is Sony saying FU we got around your contract and the disc will go away as soon as the MS - NF contract expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.