Netflix Support Not Going to PlayStation 3, Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
"Xbox 360 will be the only game console to offer this movie-watching experience"

But the Netflix VOD on the 360 isn't the same one that is on the computer, so perhaps that is the "loophole" that will allow Sony or Nintendo to get Netflix.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I have to admit that 95% of my xbox time is devoted to Netflix. The new update today is a huge improvement. I knew they would add the ability to browse movies but I was pleasantly surprised to find that they improved the streaming so that rewinding/fast-forwarding will not result in re-buffering. Its working great so far.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Sucks for Sony. The whole blu-ray as an advantage for Sony became a lot less of an advantage now that I can stream 1080p movies directly to my Xbox 360. Also got Project Natal coming down the pipes while Sony has a nice magic wand Wiimote ripoff... At least they still have Metal Gear Solid... for now.

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Who cares? I have a ps3 and don't miss having netflix. Nothing motivates me to getting old grubby dvd's when i can go to redbox and get a blu-ray.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
You can't stream 1080p movies... you can stream pseudo-1080p movies. Just because a movie starts out as 1080p doesn't mean image quality is the same after it's compressed enough to stream.

As I said above... I like streaming netflix a lot, but it's no replacement for Blu-Ray.

Rahbot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2008
I think that Microsoft paid Netflix to only be used on PC and Xbox360. I'm still glad I got 2 PS3's.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]You can't stream 1080p movies... you can stream pseudo-1080p movies. Just because a movie starts out as 1080p doesn't mean image quality is the same after it's compressed enough to stream. As I said above... I like streaming netflix a lot, but it's no replacement for Blu-Ray.[/citation]

Sorry. I'll get out my microscope this time and be appalled at the lack of quality in these "pseudo 1080p" movies that I can watch instantly without the need to buy an overpriced and fragile disc.

pochacco007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
no netflix for wii because netflix works on a service subscription [you pay a monthly service charge]. if you look at the wii in japan where nintendo is trializing the video service concept, it isn't based on a service model.

instead, nintendo wants a video rental service. it's like the good old days when one goes into their video store and checks out what they have on the shelf. if they like something they just borrow it.

in this instance, people would go into the video channel on the wii and surf what the video channel has to offer for movies or what not. if they like something, they just pay a rental fee for it, have about 2-3 days to watch the video [similar to those mom and pop service] and the video will expire [due date].

i wish it was cheaper though. the trial price in japan is $5 i believe. i hope it's at least somewhere between 2-3 dollars.

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Frankly, this has been the killer app in our household. It's turned one of my expensive toys into something my wife uses as much (if not more than me). We've got a two year old kid and being able to stream kid's cartoons on demand has only added to the value. Microsoft really has something here and they're wise to corner the market and improve the experience. There is no doubt that we will continue our live gold subscription and our Netflix subscriptions because of it.

birdman_2000

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
PlayON is a 30 dollar pc program that will pipe netflix and hulu, plus some other stuff right to the PS3. Although i will admit rewinding and fast forwarding are out of the question. Check it out if you want the availability to have Netflix on your ps3

birdman_2000

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
PlayON is a 30 dollar pc program that will pipe netflix and hulu, plus some other stuff right to the PS3. Although i will admit rewinding and fast forwarding are out of the question. Check it out if you want the availability to have Netflix on your ps3. It's got a trial period so give it a whirl.

perpetual98

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
We live out in the sticks and had to resort to cellular internet which isn't terribly fast, but WAY better than dialup. I should download the 360 update and see if it will work on my slow connection. Or even on my Arcade edition for that matter.

G

I'm still hoping Blockbuster gets their act together and streams to the PS3. I don't have there service now, but if I could use it on my PS3 I would definitely sign up.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Sucks for Sony. The whole blu-ray as an advantage for Sony became a lot less of an advantage now that I can stream 1080p movies directly to my Xbox 360...[/citation]
[citation][nom]D_Kuhn[/nom]You can't stream 1080p movies... you can stream pseudo-1080p movies. Just because a movie starts out as 1080p doesn't mean image quality is the same after it's compressed enough to stream. As I said above... I like streaming netflix a lot, but it's no replacement for Blu-Ray.[/citation]
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Sorry. I'll get out my microscope this time and be appalled at the lack of quality in these "pseudo 1080p" movies that I can watch instantly without the need to buy an overpriced and fragile disc.[/citation]
Microsoft has done an excellent job of marketing their numbers to be on level with that of its competition. They started off without HDMI or 1080p capabilities and then just worked them into their units through firmware/software upgrades.

Since most consumers tend to just look at a number when purchasing a product (how many have purchased a vacuum and gone 'Well, this one is 6 amps and this one is 12, the 12 one must be better'), Microsoft has been very successful at staying on level with anything being thrown out there as "superior" in terms of figures.

In all fairness however, the resolution of a movie is blown out of proportion in terms of importance with regards to quality. Really, what matters are things such the codec used, bitrate, colour depth, etc. Streaming @ 1080p is an excellent marketing tool but don't be fooled into thinking its a substitute or parallel in quality to that which you get on bluray. But in line with tayb's comment, most people probably won't notice the difference...heck, a lot of people can't even see the difference between SD and HD, let alone 2 HD sources.

Resolution matters but people tend to use it as the only unit measure for quality HD material which is really short sighted but hey, most consumers tend to only look for the one figure so it'll work for the audience Microsoft is targeting.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I really don't see the appeal in a crappy stream when you've already invested $700 to $2000+ in a TV to watch things in true 1080p. Last I checked the neflix to 360 stream increased and decreased with quality based on your connection. Besides, my HTPC can run this service without the Live subscription.

For the record, I have a $1300 TV, a $500 sound system, a $500 PS3, and an HTPC with about $1000 worth of hardware in it. I can afford a blu-ray disk to watch whenever (internet outage, on the go [digital copies], etc).

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Except that you can already use your PS3 and Wii with Netflix (with Playon). The Xbox360 just has its own service I guess. I use an old Xbox with XBMC to stream videos to my HDTV every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.