Never buy Astros

Arronleeds

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
Just wanting to tell you guys to never buy astro a40s, especially the 2013 editions, I had my first pair that was broken out of box straight away with crackling in one ear cup and the second pair that I owned started breaking up after two months, it was infact two poorly made mixamps. The sound on them is so overrated it's unreal, they sound as cheap as any other virtual surround headsets and I've had a couple in my time, I picked up the sennheiser g4me one for £10 less and the sound difference is amazing.

electricfirebolt

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I've had my Astro A40 2013 for nearly 2 years now and it has been great, I'm using mine with the Astro 2013 MixAmp Pro with an Asus Xonar D2X. No crackling in ears(Usually down to your computers electrical's hence why I use an dedicated sound card.), I have dropped my A40's plenty of times and they have been fine, although I do need to tighten the screws on the side every 6+ months. The only issue I have had with mine is the 3.5mm headset cable, it keeps getting tangled and as a result I'm on my 2nd official cable, I have bought some cable braiding and that seems to have solved the problem.

Arronleeds

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
yeah i had mine with the mixamp and a soundcard, it wasnt my pc as i got the same issue on xbox. the sound quality on the a40s isnt even as good as people try make out, they just try make them sound good so all these optic kids get them. i got mine because i actually thought they were the best gaming headset at that price but my my, this sennheiser g4me one cost me less and its worlds apart.

electricfirebolt

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Mines are much better than pretty much all other gaming headsets I have tried. I run mine in surround like 24/7 and the quality is unbeatable without me buying a dedicated audio pair of headphones.

Arronleeds

Estimable
Nov 14, 2014
they did sound better to every other headset i had which includes, tb x12s, tb px5, corsair h1500, tb px21, siberia v2. just nowhere near as good as these sennheisers which are from there gaming range, the a40s dont come anywhere close to these imo.

Using two speakers to recreate "surround sound" is a gimmick or trick. Then again, binaural recording isn't a gimmick.

In terms of gaming sound, it's a gimmick. Unlike, for example, a movie or music where the sounds are discreet, meaning they are recorded to use a certain channel(2.0/2.1/3.0 and etc. Games use audio clues. Game audio files would be huge and really unrealistic if they used discreet surround.

Having heard a few models of the Astro's, I would say they are decent but way overpriced. The mix amp(the mix amp is a type of soundcard, adding a soundcard would be an expensive pass through) isn't bad either, but then again it costs too much. If the package for the headphones and mix amps were in the 100.00 range or less on sale. I would consider them a decent headset.

Happy listening, the Prisoner...