new 32gb acer laptop windows 10. The laptop is still new i just installed steam for my son and now it says 21 gb used out of 2

Azzam_1

Prominent
Jul 8, 2017
I have a new Acer laptop windows 10 32gb and I only installed Steam on it and now it saying 21 gb used out of 29. Is this a problem or is it normal.

Solution
It is normal because Windows 10 is installed on to that 32GB of eMMC storage. Additionally, laptops have a hidden partition that you cannot access which stores an image of Windows so that it can be re-installed if necessary. Windows generally uses around 20GB of storage.

These low end laptops typically has a SD card or micro SD card to expand storage space. I recommend you check the laptop's manual to see which one it uses and the maximum capacity it will support. Any programs you install on the laptop should be installed on the micro-SD / SD card which will likely appear as the D: drive when you insert it.

Windows can eat up storage space as new updates are automatically downloaded which is generally why you should not install...
It is normal because Windows 10 is installed on to that 32GB of eMMC storage. Additionally, laptops have a hidden partition that you cannot access which stores an image of Windows so that it can be re-installed if necessary. Windows generally uses around 20GB of storage.

These low end laptops typically has a SD card or micro SD card to expand storage space. I recommend you check the laptop's manual to see which one it uses and the maximum capacity it will support. Any programs you install on the laptop should be installed on the micro-SD / SD card which will likely appear as the D: drive when you insert it.

Windows can eat up storage space as new updates are automatically downloaded which is generally why you should not install programs to the internal eMMC storage unless you have to. The eMMC storage is cannot be upgraded; it is integrated into the laptop's motherboard.

Solution

Tony5112

Prominent
Jul 21, 2017
Just bought one of these (Acer es1-332) myself, got it cheap from Argos outlet £119.
Storage is poor so I have ordered " hdd cable 50.GFZN7.004 "
£28 from germany this will allow me to add a ssd which I already have and boost this little netbook with some much needed storage space.
Hope this helps.

Update : 25 July, HDD cable arrived , two minute job to connect cable and ssd.
Cloned old emmc hard drive to ssd ( using reflect)
Entered BIOS F2 on start up changed boot device priority to new ssd hard drive.
Bingo brand new netbook with large hard drive for £146 bonus