New 3DS Suffering 'Black Screen of Death'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I'll just wait for the next gen of the 3DS to come out before I move on from my DS Lite. There just seems to be a few too many little issues popping up here and there (not to mention not really any decent game selection atm). Hopefully the next gen will have better battery life and all the little yet-to-be-discovered issues will be ironed out.

G

No problems at all. This is an Awesome device. The 3D works as advertised. Loving it:) Nintendo just KNOWS how to make a device that every age group will enjoy. I am 43 and am truly impressed with the 3DS. My two kids (10 & 5) are having a Blast with the 3DS (playing FaceRaiders, Taking 3D Pics, AR Cards). I bought Lego Star Wars III and wow is that game fun to play in 3D. Looks like Blaster Fire is coming right at ya.

Nintendo knows how to get people up and moving with Street Pass and giving you Coins (to use in games) for evry 100 steps you take with the 3DS you get a Coin (up to 10 a day). Sony will come out with the Powerhouse Spec'd up NGP and get their Asses kicked AGAIN in the handheld market. Innovation and having FUN is more important than having a Super Graphic device.

I remember the early 80's and the implementation of 3D in movies (Friday the 13th 3 and Jaws 3) and Nintendo has taken 3D to the next level. Hopefully 3D is implemented in the HTC EVO 3D that same way. Kudos to Nintendo for stepping out of the box and bringing us the Gem of a Handheld. True Innovators.

When Apple brings 3D to the iDevices hopefully they don't take credit for it and claim they are the 1st to implement it and it's truly Magical & Revolutionary

xambron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]So who said this is better than the iPad? lol[/citation]
It is definitely cheaper.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
it's really annoying for both users and tech support to be getting intermittent errors, not knowing what is causing the problems. it takes really good quality control and testing to uncover these issues, like intel's recent sandy bridge chipset woes.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Interesting how only the American launch is having these issues as I have no seen any reports from Japanese users. Either way, first-gen hardware has issues.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]maestintaolius[/nom]I'll just wait for the next gen of the 3DS to come out before I move on from my DS Lite. There just seems to be a few too many little issues popping up here and there (not to mention not really any decent game selection atm). Hopefully the next gen will have better battery life and all the little yet-to-be-discovered issues will be ironed out.[/citation]
I'm with you on this one. The aesthetic with the 1st model doesn't really please me much either, same with the 1st gen DS. DS Lite was much much nicer. After issues are ironed out, new model, with great game selection, i'll hop on board.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gamerk316[/nom]Not shocked. While the 3DS will eventually reign supreme, people just aren't interested in the 3D aspect. And lets face it, the DS/DSi library is gigantic right now, so there isn't much reason to upgrade at this juncture.[/citation]
the current games are shit, aside from street fighter, but thats a niche genre and a game thats been on better systems. wait till the blockbusters come out, and revision 2.
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]So who said this is better than the iPad? lol[/citation]
a back catalouge of what is it, 3000 some games, and at least 100 of which can be called must have. the ipad has what, seriously, what? is there any game that is a "system seller" on there? and im asking that seriously, i have one (access to one) and infinity blade is ok, but not as great as i thought it would be.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]compared to the leap nintendo made with the gameboy color-gameboy advance and advance-ds, this is a minor leap... the grpahics are similar to the original PSP and since there is that new 3d gimmick, im assuming many developers are gonna forget about the awesome 2d platformers we used to have, and decide to stick in some lame 3d graphics... NGP is around the corner, and sony has my support assuming it turns out awesome and they dont shaft the customers.[/citation]

will people stop calling it a gimmick. it may be hard to wrap your head around, but 3d ISNT GOING AWAY, curent gen 3d solutions will, but not the idea. and once it can go mainstream no problem, as in even the crappiest thing you can get is 3d enabled, you will understand.
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]It costs too much, especially when you consider how many Nintendo handhelds are in the hands of kids. If you have two or three kids and want to buy them all one, that's a big chunk of money. It's too expensive for a toy.[/citation]
because its not a toy?
[citation][nom]anthonyla65[/nom]My iPad can do more than a 3DS with a better battery life. Not really, the iPad is £320 now, only £90-100 more than a 3DS which have games that cost £39.99. iPad apps are £0.59-£5.99. Not being a hater of the 3DS but this is just a PSP quality graphics console with 3D and touch screen. It doesn't last as long as the old DS. With the NGP coming round which has a Quad Core and near PS3 levels graphics and just better suited games for my age range, I think I'll pass the 3DS and go for that instead.[/citation]

i have to say this.
i need mature games for mature gamers or else i feel like i'm not compensating enough for my lack of (insert length or girth or both here)

seriously, it comes down to fun, i can honestly say i have had more fun with my ds than my psp. heres hoping the psp2 doesn't f up like the psp, and only get good towards the end of its life.

scotv453

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I love my psp more then my ds. Just my type of system. Can't wait for NGP. Sucks though as this may spark pain and hurt on Nintendo sales if they don't fix this.....IF they can fix it.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Given the state of the overall economy (specifically the season, as the first few months of the year are NEVER particularly brisk) and the pretty high price tag on the 3DS, I'm not surprised if it's not selling particularly fast. The NGP would sell similarly slowly, as would anything. That, and the lack of good launch titles doesn't help: sure, it has backwards-compatability, but for that price... Just buy a DSi or DS Lite for a lot less dough.

Similarly, I'd be surprised if Nintendo DOESN'T fix this problem... Especially, as has been noted, that it's only region-specific, meaning that it likely has nothing to do with deep-rooted design flaws like some other portable devices have. (*coughiPhone4cough*)

[citation][nom]anthonyla65[/nom]Not being a hater of the 3DS but this is just a PSP quality graphics console with 3D and touch screen.[/citation]
As others have debunked you, take a look at Snake Eater 3D, which has detail to rival Guns of the Patriots; the PSP versions of MGS didn't even match up to anything the PS2 had.

Power-wise, the number of cores the CPU has is almost meaningless as for its graphical capabilities: hence why in the end, the 360 and PS3 even out in spite of wildly different designs. And since the 3DS ALREADY rivals the PS3, thanks to Moore's law... the NGP will actually be pretty comparable, graphics-wise, to the 3DS. Not that having more power would've helped: the PSP blew away the DS, and let's guess which sold nearly three times as many as the other?

[citation][nom]jescott418[/nom]Why play 3D on such a small screen? I just don't get it?[/citation]
That's because there's a distinct advantage here: no glasses. It's actually a brilliant idea that works out and makes 3D feasible here. Other solutions usually involve wearing clunky glasses or the like. The parallax barrier is a technology that's been around for a while, but has a distinct downside: it has a RATHER narrow viewing angle. But since this is a handheld, this means only 1 person is gonna be watching... And they can tilt and hold the thing as they wish, without much physical strain. Hence, the disadvantage is wiped away.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
I think there's quite a few problems with the current implementation of 3DS:

1º People are reporting the 3D is making them sick. I know a person that got sick after playing it's brand new unit for like 10 minutes. Others do not get sick, but feel the 3D effect a gimmick and turned it off to not use it again.
2º The launch lineup is lackluster.
3º Some units overheating, lack of battery life, DS mode colors washed out and now this.

Personally i will be waiting for a much needed revision to address the issues from my 3º point.

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Its early yet to be ringing the bell of doom for the 3DS. I'm not enthused about the hardware (3D which is painful or impossible to use for some people and has a very narrow 'sweet spot' even with the slider at max (wonder how that'd affect viewing long 3D movies), short battery life w./ long recharge time, poor cameras, poor 3D graphics (yes, even now, they're still lackluster compared to what smartphones & Sony's NGP offers), etc.) but I think the sales will pick up once the holiday season rolls around. It will *never* come close to matching the DS sales though, nor will any '3DS-Lite' successor.

Good games will move the hardware though. I still think alot of people (Excepting Pokemon & N. fanatics) will be looking for something else. The NGP, if it does retail at $299 will be a greater value to alot of these people with: Larger & higher resolution OLED 'capacitive' touchscreen, dual analog controllers, GPS, Bluetooth, 6-axis gyroscope, 3G, front & back cameras, etc.

The 3DS seems to foster N.'s desire for things to be as usual, but things aren't as usual. I don't see the 3DS doing much beyond what the DS's have done, but with the NGP I can imagine maybe Android support and more mature and useful applications (Skype video VOIP) and things beyond what the 3DS could ever attempt.

I'm not saying Android or the rest will be supported or developed (esp. with Sony's record), but I *know*, I don't want DS games 'from another perspective'.

There are still DS games that I might want to play one day, should my 'DS-satiation' ever diminish, but right now I'm hungry for something different.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jestern[/nom]The NGP, if it does retail at $299 will be a greater value to alot of these people with: Larger & higher resolution OLED 'capacitive' touchscreen, dual analog controllers, GPS, Bluetooth, 6-axis gyroscope, 3G, front & back cameras, etc.The 3DS seems to foster N.'s desire for things to be as usual, but things aren't as usual. I don't see the 3DS doing much beyond what the DS's have done, but with the NGP I can imagine maybe Android support and more mature and useful applications (Skype video VOIP) and things beyond what the 3DS could ever attempt.I'm not saying Android or the rest will be supported or developed (esp. with Sony's record), but I *know*, I don't want DS games 'from another perspective'. There are still DS games that I might want to play one day, should my 'DS-satiation' ever diminish, but right now I'm hungry for something different.[/citation]

This is exactly what's wrong with gaming. The community-obsessed, achievement-getting, I-Need-To-Log-In-To-Facebook-While-Playing-360-Or-Life-Will-End bullshit.

I am a grown-ass man, and I have a cell phone for things like that. When I sit down with my DS, it's to play some damn Dragon Quest.

Status
Not open for further replies.