New dell xps 15 - neither wireless nor Ethernet working

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Hi,

I got a new xps 15 - 9550 4 days ago. The wireless does not work, and ever since I've been trying to get it to work. I've done all the suggestions on the internet (disable WMM, enable ip flushing via regedit & flush ip / winsock, disable power saving on the wireless card, disable netbios, add new protocol(reliable multicast)), none of them helped. I then purchased the usb-c adapter and tried the ethernet, but it does not even recognize there is an ethernet connection. I then tried the wireless, bios and thunderbolt driver updates on the dell website (sent them using my macbook via bluetooth), but they didn't help either.

When I try win10 troubleshooting, it says "one or more network protocols are missing on this computer"

Please help, I'm about to lose my mind, it's been 4 days :/

BREAKTHROUGH: I can browse the internet perfectly fine over a hotspot from my OnePlus 3 (2.4 GHz band). Not sure what this means, but at least I know it's not a hardware problem.

Solution
I had a problem with my Dell Inspiron 14 a few weeks ago where it was unable to connect to the internet after updating to Windows 10 anniversary edition. The Wi-Fi would detect networks but would get stuck on obtaining IP address (even after I manually assigned it an available address). Even when using a USB to Ethernet adapter (which I had used before), it would connect. I had to roll it back to a previous build to fix the problem. I'm fairly certain it's related to either Dell's drivers or something to do with Windows.

Not sure what you can do because it is so new, maybe try to contact Dell support and tell them your internet doesn't work? They'll either try to help you or replace the device. Because it will still be under warranty...

jadelith

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010

Tried this, but didn't help :/ I've also uninstalled mcafee.

audie-tron25

Estimable
Mar 23, 2015
I had a problem with my Dell Inspiron 14 a few weeks ago where it was unable to connect to the internet after updating to Windows 10 anniversary edition. The Wi-Fi would detect networks but would get stuck on obtaining IP address (even after I manually assigned it an available address). Even when using a USB to Ethernet adapter (which I had used before), it would connect. I had to roll it back to a previous build to fix the problem. I'm fairly certain it's related to either Dell's drivers or something to do with Windows.

Not sure what you can do because it is so new, maybe try to contact Dell support and tell them your internet doesn't work? They'll either try to help you or replace the device. Because it will still be under warranty, you should be alright either way.

Solution