New Gaming Laptop Advice

Noiseboy89

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
Hey guys, I've got a gaming PC that's finally on its last legs, so looking to get something new.
(I would have gone for a new PC, but work means that a laptop makes too much sense)

I've been looking around and decided specs that make sense to me are:

15.6" Screen (1080p)
Intel I7 6700HQ
Geforce GTX 970M
16GB 2133MHz Ram
128GB/256GB SSD
1TB HDD (Hybrid?....)
3+ USB 3.0 ports
1 x Thunderbolt 3 USB C port
HDMI/Display Port socket

Budget is probably £1400, but could be pushed to £1500 if it's really worth it.

A few questions might be; Is a better CPU worth it? (As some laptops are available with desktop CPUs) Is a better GPU (980M) worth it? More Ram?

Obviously I'm looking to game, ultra high would be nice, high seems a bit more realistic. Most gaming would be at home, but it might be nice to be able to play some games when I'm away, even if I can only take a mouse with me.

Also work wise, a lot of it is boring standard programs office, emails, pdfs etc, but there could potentially be times when I need to run Pro Tools or SMAART which can be a little more intense.

I'd like to, realistically, get about 4 years out of it.

I've seen as well, that Alienware have their GPU amplifier and Razer are bringing out the Razer Core, which would definitely help with futureproofing and be quite nice to plug into when I get home.

I've been currently looking at the Alienware 15 and the Acer Predator. (I was at one point looking at a Fangbook 4 on Cyberpower, but a lack on thunderbolt 3 may be a deal breaker for futureproofing...)

I've heard the screen on the Alienware leaves a bit to be desired so it would be great to hear off anyone who has any alternatives or advice that might help.

Thanks

Alex

Solution
I would avoid graphics amplifiers as the graphics cards after pascal will be PCIE4, and will not work in the amplifier meaning it will get very obsolete fast.

I do think that alienware units are pretty decent, razers are too expensive and they run hot, really hot and that is not good for longevity. Thunderbolt, is a dying connection port, so i would avoid it if at all possible. The 1080p screens on alienwares are the best out right now, cant really find a laptop with a better screen.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
I would avoid graphics amplifiers as the graphics cards after pascal will be PCIE4, and will not work in the amplifier meaning it will get very obsolete fast.

I do think that alienware units are pretty decent, razers are too expensive and they run hot, really hot and that is not good for longevity. Thunderbolt, is a dying connection port, so i would avoid it if at all possible. The 1080p screens on alienwares are the best out right now, cant really find a laptop with a better screen.

Solution