New GTX 970/980 Laptops! Is this Laptop the Best Bang for your Buck? (Two Posts, read Summary for shorter version)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
(HERE IS A QUICK SUMMARY OF WHAT I'M DEALING WITH. IF YOU WANT THE WHOLE THING, READ THE POST AFTER THE SUMMARY)

Hi. So, let's make this quick, I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop with a 970M, the newest released mobile graphic cards. I'm looking at the MSI GT70 2293, which is set to release on October 22. Basically, it costs $1450 and has the GTX 970M, which performs better than an 880M and has better cooling and noise reduction. It's Maxwell, too. For a description, visit this website:

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominator2293-eta-oct22-p-7598.html?wconfigure=yes
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152666

If you want the full post, read it below. Thanks.

(FULL POST)

Hey guys.

Over the past few months, I've been killing myself over getting the ASUS G750M DS71. I've read great reviews, and it was time I've thrown away my Surface RT (Horrible, honestly) and get a real machine for gaming and CPU/GPU intensive tasks. I'm turning 13 years old in 6 days (October 17), and I already have more than enough money saved up over the years to buy a gaming laptop, added on with the money I'll get for my birthday. I easily can buy a $3000 laptop with my own money, but I'm not the kid who throws money out the window at expensive items because they "cost a lot". I do my research, and I know how the marketing strategies work. But right now, I'm keeping my budget at $1500.

Anyways, back to topic. With the new release of the 900 series, I've been thinking over my choice of the ASUS and maybe going for a 900 series laptop. So, with the new release of the ASUS G751 series, which sported the 970/980m, I thought I was set. Until I saw the $2000 price tag for the 970m. Never mind...

But I kept on looking. I know that the 860m is a great card and all, but with new titles coming out requiring more power, I don't think the Maxwell card can keep up. I don't want the best of the best, but still, if I'm shelling out 1400 for a laptop, it should play all games smoothly. And the thing is, it actually does. But again, with new titles requiring more power becoming a reality, I don't think it can hold it's ground. So I kept searching, and I eventually found myself at XoticPC. Being a fan of them from past experiences, I searched their options. Well, I'd be damned, I found over 20 laptops with the new 900 series cards. It was all over their main page. Thinking that they'd be expensive, I decided to look just to see how expensive.

I was absolutely incorrect about the expensive part . There was a Sager for 1200 USD that had a 970M. But I'm not a fan of Sager, so I passed. But soon enough, there it was. An MSI GT70 Dominator laptop for 1450 USD, with a GTX 970M. I know that MSI is a great company, but I passed on them before because I've gotten complaints about heat. Over and over.

But this time was different. The heat couldn't pull me away from the value. And besides, it doesn't get molten hot, and I'll be using a cooling pad. So I know I can't give it up. It has all the things better than ASUS (Keyboard, sound, sleekness) along with an amazing price tag.

MSI: Sleekness, keyboard, weight, screen, audio, PRICE!
ASUS: Build quality (Slightly), Design (Sexy, to be honest), and cooling (Nice advantage)

Now, the cooling part doesn't bother me, as I'll be using a cooling pad and I'll turn down the thermometer. Even if it does throttle just a little, the sacrifice in power is minimal and is still amazing. The build quality is already superb, but ASUS has better. Again, isn't a burden. And the design on the MSI is sleek and nice, but the ASUS is just hardcore and beautiful. But design doesn't affect anything much (except maybe cooling). However, the MSI has a customizable keyboard that feels nice, is lighter than the ASUS, IMO has a better screen, and the audio is supposedly crisp and fantastic. Now, I've already had this debate with myself, and still I chose the ASUS. But it's different this time around. The MSI costs 400 USD less for the same specs, and it has more power.

Speaking of power, let's get into that. The 880M is about twice as better than the 860M. It could be more better, but being Kepler, the cooling isn't as good. Therefore, the 880M is more powerful, but louder and has more heat (due to power and Kepler). Now, benchmarks with games show that the 970M is about 1.5 times better than the 880M. It has Kepler design, as well. It also has improved interface resulting in being more cool and quieter. If this is true, than the 970M is about three times more powerful than the 860M. The awesome part? The ASUS with the 860M costs $1400. The MSI with the 970M costs $1450. So all you're sacrificing is a bit of cooling, design, and build quality for 3 times the power. Also, the MSI has a 7200 RPM hard drive over a 5400 RPM ASUS drive. The MSI can be upgraded and cleaned a LOT easier than the ASUS. ASUS has 12GB RAM and MSI has 8GB RAM.

So, is the MSI worth the purchase? I've kind of been pointing towards that, but I want other opinions first. Now, it hasn't hit market yet, as it is ETA on Oct. 22, so I don't expect first hand experience. So I have a few questions:

1) I want to but this from Best Buy. Went the product is up for sale, will it arrive at Best Buy?
2) I know it's GT70, but being the newest model, could it have dual cooling?
3) It won't affect my purchase, but will prices of other 800 series laptops deflate because of the price/performance ratio of the 900 series?

I'm terribly sorry for the long post, but I'm curious. Thank you for your support! Also, there were reports of Power State Failures for every 800 series laptop. Being that this is 900 series, do you think that will happen? It's a huge deal for me, so I NEED to know.

Solution
Defiantly get a GTX 900M laptop, the cooling and the extra features will help your laptop for the years to come.

I love the Dominator with the GTX 970M, nice looking and extremely powerful, I would get that laptop.

Tour rows

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014
So far cheapest 970m laptop I am seein is 1400. Would love to score one by next Monday for around a 1000. Surprised 880m and 780m haven't dropped in price yet with new 980m being released. Would gladly take any of these GPUs in a laptop. If anyone sees any of these GPUs in a laptop around $1000 let me know...

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
Yeah, I know, I'd love to see a 980m laptop bust around 1700. That'd be one hell of a deal. But I'm waiting for Braswell until I get a new laptop, just because of the power consumption and the battery time saved.

SDEagle

Estimable
Dec 24, 2014
Why don't you check this one out? 'Eurocom' looks pretty promising and they are build gaming laptops since 1989.

Eurocom M5 Pro
15.6" 2K FHD IPS MATTE 1080p; 60Hz; eDP interface; LED Backlit
Intel Core i7-4710HQ
GTX 970M (3GB DDR5)
8GB RAM (DDR3L - 1866)
500GB - 7200rpm
4 cell, 62Wh
(This is the base config but you have options to further change/upgrade these, based on your budget)

All for $1467 (+ 10% discount, if you are student or just graduated)

Full review @ http://www.gaminglaptopsjunky.com/eurocom-m5-review-970m/
Product link @ http://www.eurocom.com/ec/configure(1,257,0)ec
[Make sure to change the currency to USD though. Also they ship all over the world]

Sarp Y

Estimable
Feb 7, 2015
Your answer is here: http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8672-clevo-p670sg-p-7800.html

1521$ with a 980m!!!! Just to let you know 980 is 75% as fast as the desktop 980 which is the fastest right now. Ignore the people who say laptops can not handle like desktops bc they can. New 900 series closed the gap between the dekstop and laptop GPU's and it will get better. The laptop above has Onkyo speakers and no they did not change the speakers on the new G751. It still sounds like my Asus g75. Asus's speakers are one the worst ever trust me on this. The Sager's Onkyo and Msi's Dynaudio are the best to none. Asus's casing is rubber which wears off in a year or so and fingerprints will remain for good. Their g750 series last year was all aluminum and going back to rubber turned me off big time this year. I take care of my electronics like baby and again if you buy Asus, you will hate the rubber when it starts having permanent oil/finger marks on it. At least on aluminum you can just wipe it with ease. I am an Asus g75 user here and I am buying this Sager above this year. You can't beat that price especially one with a 980m. Can't find a 980m less than 2000$ I guarantee you!!! Read the forums online like I did and ask about Sager laptops. 90% people will tell you how good they are. Peace...

(I don't work for Sager)

Todd W

Estimable
Sep 17, 2015
i recently bought a MSI GT72 2QE... simply the best laptop money can buy. the cooling on this thing... omg to die for. most people report like 80-89 on stress tests, but i havent even seen it get over 70 even running GTAV on ultra in 4k. for 2250cad it was the best money could buy... locally. ill never buy a pc online for tons of reasons but the most being: it getting lost in transit. ive had way to many parcels never show up at my door so i wouldnt take a chance on something so expensive lol. i did do my research before buying this pc and the i7 core 5700hq was quite impressive, and slightly better option on the market (at time of purchase) also with a bios update on the way to support more ram and the newest video cards (the gt990m/980(no "m")) this laptop is well future proof. though im sure you all have your own opioions about this but I LOVE MY LAPTOP, and there steelseries million colour rgb keyboard is an amazing touch. when it comes to these laptops cheaper isnt always better... granted we are going to spend thousands more but hey thats the price you pay to play outdoors, and to me thats priceless! (id love to see a desktop guy bring his desktop on an airplane.... or a train.... thats why we pay so much and could careless!)

Raizel

Estimable
Oct 3, 2015

Gaming laptops are good and all, but with the extra money you save you should really consider getting into the PC gaming world.
While building your own PC seems like a daunting task at first, when it's finished you'll feel accomplished because every part inside was picked by you, also because every part was picked by you, you'll get the best value for your money. I built my current PC when I.was 14 so it isn't something only adults can do.... Just something to consider

Austen876

Estimable
Jan 4, 2016
yea i guess im kind of in or was kind of in the same boat as you....ive been driving myself crazy studying...pricing...searching....configuring....alll that good stuff for a new gaming laptop....i already have a great gaming desktop but more and more my lazy ass has been using my old laptop to lay in bed and game/use it to research as my current "game room" isnt that comfortable. anyway....after MUCH debate i finally settled on a MSI gt72s 019 laptop...980m 8gb...i76820k.....32gb ddr4 2133 RAM... 2x 128 pcie nvme ssd's and 1tb hdd....i was gonna go the sager/clevo route with dual 970m in SLI but the more i studied the less patience i had...so i got that one upgraded on amazon with free 2 day delivery (thanks prime :) also the msi has the mxm 3.0b upgradeable gpu slot for sure and maybe cpu slot if im not mistaken....plust the warranty...yada yada yada....im very excited about the msi to get here tho! now to figure out....a 3 display setup or 1 wide format... curved monitor. hope everyones everything works out tho...game on