New GTX 970/980 Laptops! Is this Laptop the Best Bang for your Buck? (Two Posts, read Summary for shorter version)

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
(HERE IS A QUICK SUMMARY OF WHAT I'M DEALING WITH. IF YOU WANT THE WHOLE THING, READ THE POST AFTER THE SUMMARY)

Hi. So, let's make this quick, I'm looking to buy a gaming laptop with a 970M, the newest released mobile graphic cards. I'm looking at the MSI GT70 2293, which is set to release on October 22. Basically, it costs $1450 and has the GTX 970M, which performs better than an 880M and has better cooling and noise reduction. It's Maxwell, too. For a description, visit this website:

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gt70-dominator2293-eta-oct22-p-7598.html?wconfigure=yes
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152666

If you want the full post, read it below. Thanks.

(FULL POST)

Hey guys.

Over the past few months, I've been killing myself over getting the ASUS G750M DS71. I've read great reviews, and it was time I've thrown away my Surface RT (Horrible, honestly) and get a real machine for gaming and CPU/GPU intensive tasks. I'm turning 13 years old in 6 days (October 17), and I already have more than enough money saved up over the years to buy a gaming laptop, added on with the money I'll get for my birthday. I easily can buy a $3000 laptop with my own money, but I'm not the kid who throws money out the window at expensive items because they "cost a lot". I do my research, and I know how the marketing strategies work. But right now, I'm keeping my budget at $1500.

Anyways, back to topic. With the new release of the 900 series, I've been thinking over my choice of the ASUS and maybe going for a 900 series laptop. So, with the new release of the ASUS G751 series, which sported the 970/980m, I thought I was set. Until I saw the $2000 price tag for the 970m. Never mind...

But I kept on looking. I know that the 860m is a great card and all, but with new titles coming out requiring more power, I don't think the Maxwell card can keep up. I don't want the best of the best, but still, if I'm shelling out 1400 for a laptop, it should play all games smoothly. And the thing is, it actually does. But again, with new titles requiring more power becoming a reality, I don't think it can hold it's ground. So I kept searching, and I eventually found myself at XoticPC. Being a fan of them from past experiences, I searched their options. Well, I'd be damned, I found over 20 laptops with the new 900 series cards. It was all over their main page. Thinking that they'd be expensive, I decided to look just to see how expensive.

I was absolutely incorrect about the expensive part . There was a Sager for 1200 USD that had a 970M. But I'm not a fan of Sager, so I passed. But soon enough, there it was. An MSI GT70 Dominator laptop for 1450 USD, with a GTX 970M. I know that MSI is a great company, but I passed on them before because I've gotten complaints about heat. Over and over.

But this time was different. The heat couldn't pull me away from the value. And besides, it doesn't get molten hot, and I'll be using a cooling pad. So I know I can't give it up. It has all the things better than ASUS (Keyboard, sound, sleekness) along with an amazing price tag.

MSI: Sleekness, keyboard, weight, screen, audio, PRICE!
ASUS: Build quality (Slightly), Design (Sexy, to be honest), and cooling (Nice advantage)

Now, the cooling part doesn't bother me, as I'll be using a cooling pad and I'll turn down the thermometer. Even if it does throttle just a little, the sacrifice in power is minimal and is still amazing. The build quality is already superb, but ASUS has better. Again, isn't a burden. And the design on the MSI is sleek and nice, but the ASUS is just hardcore and beautiful. But design doesn't affect anything much (except maybe cooling). However, the MSI has a customizable keyboard that feels nice, is lighter than the ASUS, IMO has a better screen, and the audio is supposedly crisp and fantastic. Now, I've already had this debate with myself, and still I chose the ASUS. But it's different this time around. The MSI costs 400 USD less for the same specs, and it has more power.

Speaking of power, let's get into that. The 880M is about twice as better than the 860M. It could be more better, but being Kepler, the cooling isn't as good. Therefore, the 880M is more powerful, but louder and has more heat (due to power and Kepler). Now, benchmarks with games show that the 970M is about 1.5 times better than the 880M. It has Kepler design, as well. It also has improved interface resulting in being more cool and quieter. If this is true, than the 970M is about three times more powerful than the 860M. The awesome part? The ASUS with the 860M costs $1400. The MSI with the 970M costs $1450. So all you're sacrificing is a bit of cooling, design, and build quality for 3 times the power. Also, the MSI has a 7200 RPM hard drive over a 5400 RPM ASUS drive. The MSI can be upgraded and cleaned a LOT easier than the ASUS. ASUS has 12GB RAM and MSI has 8GB RAM.

So, is the MSI worth the purchase? I've kind of been pointing towards that, but I want other opinions first. Now, it hasn't hit market yet, as it is ETA on Oct. 22, so I don't expect first hand experience. So I have a few questions:

1) I want to but this from Best Buy. Went the product is up for sale, will it arrive at Best Buy?
2) I know it's GT70, but being the newest model, could it have dual cooling?
3) It won't affect my purchase, but will prices of other 800 series laptops deflate because of the price/performance ratio of the 900 series?

I'm terribly sorry for the long post, but I'm curious. Thank you for your support! Also, there were reports of Power State Failures for every 800 series laptop. Being that this is 900 series, do you think that will happen? It's a huge deal for me, so I NEED to know.

Solution
Defiantly get a GTX 900M laptop, the cooling and the extra features will help your laptop for the years to come.

I love the Dominator with the GTX 970M, nice looking and extremely powerful, I would get that laptop.

novanex

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
If you build a PC, you can build something as powerful as that laptop for half the price, and you can buy a monitor and games with the other half, or buy a nice ipod touch which is basically a smartphone without the phone part. so you can use internet and apps, and messaging using Wi-Fi. (Everyplace in the world uses Wi-Fi)

$1500 dollars is way too much for a gaming machine.

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
I'm actually working on getting a new gaming laptop as well and I picked the 2293 as well. Going to upgrade a couple things but you cant beat that price! I'm waiting for Black Friday to see if I can get a great deal on it. I was also hoping ASUS would have a better price 970M but still havent seen one posted on any websites. I even called them directly to see if I can order ASUS G751JT-DH72 with just 1 SSD instead of 2, cause for gaming purposes a 128 is more than enough for me and they said no. But anyway back to the MSI....

- I plan to add the 128GB SSD
* Don't worry about the CPU all of them run about the same for gaming purposes
* Don't OC them, usually with laptops its not a good idea
- Upgraded copper cooling
- Thermal paste CPU/GPU
- Maybe some personalization options
- 2-3 year extended warranty

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014

Actually, I'm not getting the MSI. The ASUS is releasing there brand new G751 series, as you know, and there is an ASUS with the same specs and price as the MSI. It's called the G751JT CH71. It has 8GB more RAM, too. It's an entire new production line as well, and word is they upgraded their cooling system and added an IPS display, replacing their crappy other TN ones. They also upgraded their sound and design, and made the keyboard backlighting red as well as their ROG logo which has a red LED as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232202

This seems to be the best option now. There is no WAY I'll pass. Hope this helps!

Emelth

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2010
Yes finally they are releasing it! I was pissed when they told me they didnt know when they were going to be releasing it. Sucks that they dont have a 128GB SSD option on that one. Have to wait and see if Xotic will have the option once it gets closer to the release date.

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
Well, they do have a 256GB SSD option, but that costs $400 more just for the SSD. With that money saved you could buy your own SSD which would last longer and be better, while also being. half the price, and the other money could go to a mouse, headset, or even an ASUS ROG monitor. No point in spending $400 for a 256GB SSD when you could buy your own for $150 :p

MisterCreative

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
I am going to buy this laptop too. It seems very good for its price and doesn't sacrifice anything. I feel like the SSD is way overpriced but I'm used to slow hard drives. Do you guys think its good to pre-order on newegg or wait until it becomes available on amazon?

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014
I think Newegg, because the pre order will ship once they come in stock, we don't know when Amazon will put it up, and Newegg has a better shipping process IMO. But personally, I'd pick it up from a local Best Buy or Fry's. You don't have to worry about shipping tax and damage during the travel. But whatever you want to do, then do it :)

MisterCreative

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

OK, the problem with NewEgg is that I live in Switzerland. They literally ship everywhere but Switzerland. :( What do you guys think I should do? Maybe amazon is the best choice in this scenario?

tommyturner12

Estimable
Apr 30, 2014

XoticPC.com

I just was on a thread, and I realized that XoticPC ships worldwide. They offer so much customization, from cooling upgrades to Custom paintings, etc. They have one of the best ratings for resellers, and what's best about them is the fact that they sell so many laptops, and each laptop is cheaper than if you were to buy off a more well know retailer (Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, etc.). They give an automatic 3% discount, which is a lot more off than you think, and give $35 off for military discount. There shipping is also well packages and arrives very fast, and if you want, they'll rush the product and ship it within 1-2 business days for an extra $50. There quality is top notch, I suggest you buy from them.

P.S.- Sorry, I'm not too familiar with Switzerland prices opposed to American prices, so I can't convert process. I'm terribly sorry

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014

I didn't know they shipped worldwide, that's good to know

N1ck3d

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
So yes I agree that laptops are improving significantly, but desktops are also improving. Laptops are not going to be the go-to for gaming. The only good thing about them is portibility. I have a laptop, and honestly it can't run crap. But it was partly my fault due to lack of research and information. So it has thrown me to the desktop direction. Currently I am building my desktop for roughly $650. And this rig can run any game on at least high settings, and almost every game on ultra. I don't hate laptops cause I love how you can take it anywhere. But seriously do you think Nvidia will send out new 900's for laptops without doing something for desktop? Well there's the new 970 and 980 which completely demolish the playing field. And you can't forget the non-limited Intel processors that can mind blow. And honestly I haven't heard much talk about laptops but desktops is the way to game especially with the new titles like "The Division", which honestly I can't wait for! A laptop is gonna perform well for a time frame to when the "next gen" stuff comes out. While a desktop can last for years and stay up to date.

FlagMuffin1221

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

Did you even read one of the OP's earlier replies? He couldn't care less about a gaming desktop, he wants to buy a damn laptop - and honestly, I'm thinking of doing the same because, as much as I want a gaming desktop, the portability of a laptop, even a GAMING laptop, is much much greater than a desktop. Being at university, I don't want to have to lug my desktop back home.

TRENDING THREADS