Question What is currently the most reliable mid-range laptop brand?

mrmike16

Honorable
And is this RescueCom report accurate? https://www.geckoandfly.com/6311/th...p-survey-best-netbook-reliability-comparison/

- I find it hard to believe that Lenovo is up there with Microsoft.

Laptops these days seem to break within 2 years or have issues if you don't get a business-class or high-end laptop. anything under $1,000 seems to be a generation old and will break sooner rather than later.

In my opinion, Microsoft has the best but overpriced computers, and Apple has an inflating battery issue (and both lack ports). As for normal PC brands, I am leaning towards ASUS and Dell, but Dell has long had a hinge-issue on Inspirons that they never addressed.

I really miss when laptop manufacturers actually cared about the quality of their products.

Interested in knowing what your opinions are on this subject in mid-2022.

Reactions: Awarr85

Etrius vanRandr

Prominent
BANNED
May 11, 2022
- I find it hard to believe that Lenovo is up there with Microsoft.

Lenovo makes good enterprise stuff like the thinkpads and thinkdesks. All else is trash

Laptops these days seem to break within 2 years or have issues if you don't get a business-class or high-end laptop. anything under $1,000 seems to be a generation old and will break sooner rather than later.

that's correct, it's called inflation. $500 laptop 10yr ago now cost double that

Interested in knowing what your opinions are on this subject in mid-2022.

Anything made by HP over $500. Laptops under $500 new are gonna be the cheapest flimsy plastic crap they can turn into a working machine.

If you want something that will last, the HP Envy x360 15z seems to be a wildly popular choice, and it's a 2-in-1 with an aluminum frame.

If you care more about raw horsepower, the Pavilion lineup of their gaming laptops are incredibly well priced from what I've heard, although I've yet to get my hands on one, moreso out of not needing one rather than not being able to afford one as my 7 year old ZBook 17 G2 has been chooching along quite well with no sign of slowing down.

If you don't care much about the relative age of the PC, the ZBook 15/17 G2 and G3 are very solid, and the G3 has a new internal layout that gives it significantly improved cooling over the G2s.

I've also used Dell's Inspiron Gaming laptops, very sturdy if you leave them on a desk for their whole life. They have a magnesium alloy midframe with plastic shell that easily chips and cracks, but still very solid performance from the 7700HQ/1060 6GB versions despite their age.

If you want something that will survive a nuclear apocalypse, then just go with a Panasonic Toughbook, but really, anything with a metal frame or midframe is gonna cost you some bigger bucks.

As configured, my ZBook set me back only $800 because I bought it used and upgraded it myself, but the whole frame and lid is made of magnesium and the palm rest is plastic. But if I got the relatively matching spec when it was new, it would have cost me over $2000.

With the mobile workstations and the multi-thousand dollar laptops, you really are getting what you pay for - unless you get a Dell XPS. From what I've read and seen the XPS laptops have HORRIBLE quality control and reliability.

Reactions: Awarr85

mrmike16

Honorable
I can write all day long answers but to help you, simple suggest: Lenovo. It is cheap, reliable and value to performance.
Reliable I did not know about. Would definitely take it into consideration. I've always loved the old IBM laptops, but when my friend got a Lenovo (ThinkBook I believe) we were both not impressed by it. But it has been a few years since then.

Reactions: scarlettm59

scarlettm59

Prominent
Aug 25, 2021
Reliable I did not know about. Would definitely take it into consideration. I've always loved the old IBM laptops, but when my friend got a Lenovo (ThinkBook I believe) we were both not impressed by it. But it has been a few years since then.

Its been few years I thinks and Lenovo had improved alot. I only suggest this device due to budget limitations. If you have little higher budget go with MSI device. They are little beast in performance.

Thanks again.

Reactions: mrmike16