New hdd for laptop

backslashz

Commendable
May 5, 2016
Hello couple of months ago I bought new laptop but unfortunately I didn't bother checking the hdd that the laptop comes with and ofc that was a major mistake because it runs really slow sometimes. When I checked the hdd I have it turned out to be an ata western digital and now I want to replace it with a faster hdd. I learned that I have to check to make sure what kind of sata my motherboard can support so I got a program to find that out and the guy that was talking about it said to look for "maximum sata mode" and below the support of each port so I did that and sata mode says g3 / sata600 and the port is g1 / sata150. At first I was happy that I can go for 6g/s drive but then I saw the port thingy and now Im not sure what that means. Am i limited to 1.5 only or what does the port speed means? Here is a screen of the program :

http://i.imgur.com/8SL1vW9.jpg

more info:
in the same program the hdd is listed as sata600 this is how i "see it wdc wd10jpvx-22jc3t0 (1tb, sata600, 5400rmp, 8mb chache)" but in the device manager is listed as "wdc wd10jpvx-22jc3t0 ata device" I'm really confused right now.. did they put a hdd that my motherboard cant handle since the port speed is lower and that's why is slow sometimes?

Solution
There is no way a new laptop will have an ATA drive in it. How do you know that the hard drive is the cause of the laptop running slow? From the sound of things you are new to computer hardware and are not quite understanding what you have, what you need and why you need it.

Start at the beginning, what is your laptop brand and model, exactly what is slow and when did it start? Did you do a disk check to see if the drive is bad? Did you do a virus and spyware scan to make sure it's not a virus issue? The SATA port speed pretty much never will be an issue with causing slowness in a computer, at most you may run into issues where a very fast hard drive will be held back by a very slow SATA port, but that won't be showing up as a...
There is no way a new laptop will have an ATA drive in it. How do you know that the hard drive is the cause of the laptop running slow? From the sound of things you are new to computer hardware and are not quite understanding what you have, what you need and why you need it.

Start at the beginning, what is your laptop brand and model, exactly what is slow and when did it start? Did you do a disk check to see if the drive is bad? Did you do a virus and spyware scan to make sure it's not a virus issue? The SATA port speed pretty much never will be an issue with causing slowness in a computer, at most you may run into issues where a very fast hard drive will be held back by a very slow SATA port, but that won't be showing up as a slow computer at all to someone, only during benchmarks.

Solution