XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I just made a little upgrade to my home theater setup and it looks like my cables need little update.

New hardware is: Pioneer VSX-LX101 and Samsung UN65MU9000 before I had Similar AVR and TV but old versions.

So here is my problem. To test if my current HDMI cables are good for new setup I connected my computer to TV bypassing AVR to make sure Nvidia control panel can properly set my connected TV. 1080ti HDMI to TV HDMI Port 1, very straight forward.

If on TV UHD Colors are on TV not connecting, if UHD is off computer connects without any problem. UHD settings on SAMSUNG TVs are basically HDR on/off switch. So basically when TV HDR is on computer not connecting, with off everything works just fine.

I tried to pull invoices to check what version my old HDMI cables are, couldn't find it. So with all that I think cable is a problem.

I need to get HDMI2 HDCP2.2 Cable that is 35feet. that's from PC to AVR and then another 2 feet cable for AVR to TVBOX so HDCP2.2 remains from PC to TV. I think this is it.

Any suggestions ?

Solution
Glad the cables worked out.
The TV is supposed to switch to HDR when it detects the HDR data but with some HDMI set ups you have to do it manually.
Some new TVs have separate calibration controls for HDR since it usually switches to the to the brightest mode possible which throws off the setting.

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

Thank you so much for your answer. Here is info you requested.

From what I understand 1080ti HDMI port does have latest HDMI specs. My AVR and My TV connected via HDCP 2.2 port. Like I said before I feel it's a cable. I already ordered 2 cables, one from PC to AVR, another from AVR to TV.

35foot : https://sewelldirect.com/silverback-s6-hdmi-cable-35-ft-
3foot: https://sewelldirect.com/premium-4k-hdmi-cable-3-ft-

I think it's one of the best tested and confirmed cables to do 4:4:4 up to 40feet, I am at 35 so I should be okay. I think.

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Purchased new Cables everything now works as it should. Well almost everything. HEre is what is going on. I already found a solution but I want to share anyway.

Once cables from PC to AVR and from AVR to TV replaced with new 4K@60 HDR rated HDMI cables right away I found new HDR and Advanced colors under Windows Display settings. Only 1 issue. When HDR is on my TV looks VERY dim. Like it almost looks like brightness is on 0. But when program like KODI is on and sending proper HDR signal TO TV it's all nice and no longer DIMMED. Also if I turn HDR off, that HDR and Advanced colors switch can be turned off, so If I do so my TV also is no longer dimmed. So I wonder if there are settings in windows when in HDR mode not to sent such dimmed signal to TV, I mean I do understand why it's doing that because there is no HDR content on TV so it's preserving screen and electricity (right ?) But what If I want to watch some YouTube or I don't know do whatever else I want, anyway to adjust that dimmed signal ?

Last question, I am using Kodi right now to watch my HDR movies, currently I actually have just 2. LA LA Land and Planet Earth II both in 4K HDR, Both look amazing BTW. I also have Nvidia Shield and it also supporting HDR. So here is question. According to AVR when I am using Windows signal being received by AVR is "4K 59Hz YCbCr422 24bit" but when Nvidia is sending signal AVR reporting "4K 59Hz YCbCr420 30bit" Now I don't see difference but 30bit is higher then 24. From what I understand they're both HDR10 (For 10bit monitors or TVs) But I wonder what is better.

I can adjust colors in Nvidia Shield settings and Nvidia Panel on PC, but I am sure by default both of the, transmitting best possible picture, but in my case what is better ?

Thank you guys !

P.S.

Picture is amazing according to a lot of people 2017 9000series TVs this year is "garbage" from Samsung in Compare to 2016 series but I have to with 100% certainty say they are just amazing.

Glad the cables worked out.
The TV is supposed to switch to HDR when it detects the HDR data but with some HDMI set ups you have to do it manually.
Some new TVs have separate calibration controls for HDR since it usually switches to the to the brightest mode possible which throws off the setting.

Solution