New headphones randomly sound flat

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014
Recently I got a JBL J55a on sale. I don't know if it's the placebo effect, or just getting used to different specs, but they randomly sound "flat" (only way to describe it, I think) at times. For example, I could listen to a song and for a moment it would sound "flat" but then a moment or two later it'll seem fine.

My old headphones were the SADES SA-708, my motherboard is the AsRock 990FX Extreme3 (Realtek ALC892 audio chipset).
If it matters, my PSU is the "Silverstone Tek Strider Gold S 850W."

Thanks in advance. :)

Solution
I would test the headphones on another device, such as a phone or a tablet. If you still get the same effect, then its a problem with the headphones. If this happens, try another audio cord. If you're still getting the same problem, send them back for another pair or a refund

Lazerbacon

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015
I would test the headphones on another device, such as a phone or a tablet. If you still get the same effect, then its a problem with the headphones. If this happens, try another audio cord. If you're still getting the same problem, send them back for another pair or a refund

Solution

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014

Okay, I'll test them out on my phone later today. Thank you for the help!

listen to some bassy music. do the times when it goes "flat" coincide with when the bass hits hard? if yes, it could be that your amplifier isnt strong enough to power them although with headphones like that you shouldnt be having any issues even with onboard audio.

agreed, you need to test them out on as many devices as possible. if you still notice the effect then it could also be two other things: either you received a defective pair of headphones or that is just how the headphones are designed and you dont care for their frequency response curve.

perhaps test audio response with https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNf9nzvnd1k to see if they drop out in any tonal frequencies compared to the rest. this would coincide with dips in the frequency response curve (which is just how the headphones are designed)

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014

I've tested with various songs (also tried the "Ultimate Audio Test" and the headphones passed with flying colors). To name a few:
Skillet - Hero
Casting Crowns - Courageous
Braken - To The Stars

Among other songs in those genres.

I have yet to test them on another device (will later today though), but I'm suspecting that it's varying voltages going to the audio chip. When I first got my old headphones, they worked great on my laptop. When I put together my desktop and plugged in the headphones, the audio would often get quieter, then a few moments later, return to normal. After getting a chance to look at another desktop's wiring, I realized the 24-pin I have plugged into my mobo and PSU is backwards. The side that has a 4-pin separated from the rest of the connector is currently in the motherboard, and having looked at my PSU again, I realized that that connector is supposed to be in the PSU, and the solid 24-pin in the mobo.
If I'm not making any sense, I can take some pictures.

Thank you for your help! I'll report back once I test the headphones on another device and when I correct my derpy wiring.

not sure what you mean by plugging in the 24pin in backwards as it really only goes one way http://corbietech.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/ATX_24pin001a1.png and http://www.digitalstorm.com/forums/uploads/1268/1_-_Shot_of_MOBO_connector.jpg

the connectors only go in one direction and the +4 pin (on a 20+4 configuration) will only go on one side so its impossible to plug in the wrong way.

you will need to explain with pictures if you think something is wrong.

---------------------

given the new info, i'm thinking more motherboard issue which if its not some derpy wiring or connectivity then its just bad onboard.

an afterthought - perhaps you meant the motherboard to case wiring? http://www.moraldonetworks.com.ar/images/pinouts_audio.jpg for front panel audio?

did you test on both front and back jacks?

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014

Sorry, I said it wrong. "Backwards" meant the 20+4 was in the mobo, and the solid 24 was in the PSU (when I wanted the 20+4 in the PSU, and the solid 24 in the mobo).

I'm agreeing with your thought of motherboard issue. I turned the cables around so the solid 24 was in the mobo and 20+4 in PSU, and while both are much closer to being latched (before they were each ~3 mm, now they are closer to a single mm), the problem... sort of persists. Soon as I booted I brought up a song. At first I could listen to it fully and completely with volume at 4. Then it got quieter (not flat, just quieter), and has stayed quieter.

I did not mean front panel audio. I haven't tested both front and back, I actually have front panel unplugged from the motherboard (my headphones, old and new, didn't fully fit into the plug, so I just decided to use back panel).

This isn't the first time I've noticed voltage-related issues (if this is voltage related, that is). When I OC'd my CPU, the CPU voltages rarely ever stayed at what I set (right now, min voltage in HWMonitor is 1.248 and max is 1.28). [Multiplier] clock rates don't stay stable either, but they aren't unstable either. They're set at 3.8GHz, and HWMonitor has a min of 3.746GHz and a max of 3.825 (haven't done anything, except play music and launch Firefox). The voltages in HWMonitor also wiggle around quite a bit, though I've read "never trust software voltages."
Video of voltages if you're interested:
https://youtu.be/JayecyE3uag

I did test the headphones on another device for ~2 hours, no issues.

oh, if thats all you meant by backwards - that shouldnt matter at all. 20+4 and a solid 24 are the same thing as the pins would be in the same orientation.

try using the front jack, generally the front jacks are more amplified than the rear jacks in most boards since the front is meant for headphones while the rear is meant for speakers.

if you have a multimeter you could test if it is the psu acting up however i would be leaning more towards an issue with the motherboard.

also, just to make sure, you have both the 20+4 pin AND the 8pin connected? if you're overclocking and do not have both connected (if your pc even starts without it connected) it could cause voltage fluctuations if you're overclocking.

a cheap soundcard or external dac/amp may fix your issues. the xonar dg/dgx is below $30.

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014

Oh. Why is there a 20+4 instead of just a solid 24? :??:

Okay, I'll give the front jacks a shot when I get a chance.

I'm afraid I don't have a multimeter.

I do have the 8 pin also connected.

The only (possible) problem with getting a sound card is that it will have to either be extremely close the PSU, or close to the GPU. Would heat be an issue?

P.S.
Happy Thanksgiving! (If you're in the U.S., that is.)

originally motherboards were powered by 20 pin connectors while the new standard is 24 pin. my guess is that they do it for backwards compatibility.

being close to the psu or gpu is not an issue though my preference would be to keep it away from the gpu intake fans so your gpu can breath a bit more.

Commander Matt

Estimable
Nov 3, 2014

Okay. Thank you for your help!