New Home Theater System only play 2.0 audio

Oneireus

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
I connected my new LG TV (http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55UF6450-4k-uhd-led-tv) with a Home Theater system by Samsung (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-4-series-500w-5-1-ch-3d-smart-blu-ray-home-theater-system-black/3188027.p?id=1219573000941&=3188027).

The HTS is connected to the TV in the HDMI ARC port, and when I am watching 5.1 capable content on the HTS, it works perfectly fine. I tested this with a few movies and 5.1 capable content on Netflix and Blu-Ray.

However, on the TV itself, I used Netflix (both Chromecasted from my phone as well as the native apps on the TV) to only hear it us the two speakers. I set the TV to use the HDMI ARC/Optical Cable option, so by all accounts that's going well. To compound my issue, I noticed on my PS4, it also only does two speakers. I purchased an Amazon Basic Optical Cable, set that as my output, and it still only does two speakers.

Oneireus

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

Well damn. So nothing can be done?

If it helps, both the TV and receiver can do HDMI ARC.

Oneireus

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

I don't think this is right. The PS4 has Dolby licensing, and it won't output to 5.1 either with the Optical Cable straight from the PS4 to the Receiver.

ps4 can output 5.1 via optical but its still going to be 2.0 if the destination device (HT) doesnt support it. by default optical is 2.0. its only 5.1 if both sides of the connection support compressed dolby audio

i'm not saying your set is not capable, just that its extremely common that cheap sets lack surround sound input capability. you can read the manual to be sure but via optical/hdmi-arc and you messing with the settings if it was to be, you likely would have had it working.

Try bitstream output rather than linear pcm

Boot up the PS4 System and access the Settings menu
Select 'Sound and Screen', 'Audio Output Settings', 'Primary Output Port'
Select 'DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL)'
Make sure that one of the first two checkboxes is checked (Dolby Digital 5.1ch, DTS 5.1ch), depending on what bitstream format your equipment supports
Select 'OK' to apply the changes
Select 'Audio Format (Priority)'
Check 'Bitstream (Dolby)' or 'Bitstream (DTS)', matching what you selected in the primary output port settings

Just tick one setting not all 3 , your HTS definitely supports both via optical input according to the datasheet.

You must switch your HTS on & select the optical input BEFORE you switch on your ps4 otherwise it will default to 2 channel via HDMI (just mirroring it to the optical)

Oneireus

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

Did all that (settling with Dolby), and I tried Netflix. I see the 5.1 option on a Netflix original (OITNB has a good theme for testing), so I fired that up. 2.0 audio still.

So, the application IS recognizing that 5.1 exists, but it still isn't playing.

I think I am closer?

Oneireus

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

Updates - So, I managed to get a new HDMI cable that specifically says it supports ARC. The TV now will put 5.1 through the native apps.

The issue is the PS4 is still only doing 2.0. It does SHOW the 5.1 support on Netflix, but it still won't put out that audio. I am closer!